Update

Sailfish

Re: Update

Postby Sailfish » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:15 pm

Tonight was the first time I got to take one of my kids hunting. My 6 yo daughter.
She was stoked for 24 hours knowing she had this chance.
I bought us a new ground blind for us to sit in. She helped me set it all up arranged our seats, cleared the leaves, and I took her to look at deer trails and we found something new
Nice scrape. Deep and fresh wasn't there a week ago.
Deer still aren't in rut. We had 8 deer 5 doe 2 button and one fawn around us at 15 yard.
Came up to us out of the west and they were heading into some thick woods, I caught glimpse of what I thought was a bobcat, and about 2 minutes of the deer moving through the thickness, they scented the cat and boy they started snorting and blowing and stomping and left the thick stuff and fed around us til dusk. She got to experience just about everything cept a kill.
Here are 3 of them. Light was low and the iPhone is soso
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

kellory

Postby kellory » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:09 pm

I think you were as stoked as she was, And I don't know which one had more fun! :)
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:04 pm

lol She's going to be wanting her own stand next year. I didn't get to hunt but 3days! Ive been busy as heck getting the property ready this time I was home, now I'm back on the boat again in Texas. Me and the wife went to a friends house to pick up some hay for our horses and cows When we pulled in the drive way there was a nice 8pt covering a doe in the pasture I was dumbfounded. This was the 3rd buck I have seen on his property, he dosn't hunt em, and I had taken my gun out of the truck prior to heading up their. needless to say I told him I will be carrying a gun everytime I visit for now on! lol We have till the 28 Feb and our season is over for a nother year

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:23 am

Wondering even what my boat looks like and if its still there

The NOAA restrictions have crushed us, additionaly with me getting a lease this year < hour from the house..........i've spent a ton of time in the woods.
Too much. Need to get back on the water like your doing.........

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:12 pm

Tough season. just finished this past w/e
Long hours, many days........0 deer for me

lots of woods and stands to move from/hunt, tons of activity on the cameras, but just a down year overall for us.
4 regular hunters (well I was pretty regular) 800 acres +/-, total = 2 deer killed
No real cold weather, no real hard rut activity,nothing really moved at all during the days. Too hot, no reason to...............who knows.

Off year for us.
Always next year.

We did vow to go with some food plots this next season, try to get something going for them.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:38 pm

how is that new piece of property coming along?

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:51 am

been quiet here lately (since April!!)

Whats everyone up to???
Playing in the rain? :lol:

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:16 am

Took a break from deer stuff and headed up north (FL) to do some small game hunting (Squirrel, Hog, etc), fishing and camping.
One hog, a few squirrels and trout from our group.
Stayed on a small barrier island that we had to Kayak to for our camp, verrrry nice.
Makes me want to get a canoe/kayak (or finish my Whaler project) and do it more often.
While the small game hunting on bike's was a blast, I really liked where we camped.
Had it to ourselves, fish in the evening, then first thing in the a.m.
Great time!
At night the airboats and others were gigging mullet and what not, what a time and place this was.
Here are some pics, I unfortunately didn't have my camera working..... :cry:

This is some of the squirrel and the hog.
I fried the squirrel and put the hog backstrap in the crockpot with Pats Ho Made BBQ...............Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:31 am

Finished up squirrel season yesterday with a kid hunt. Didn't see any squirrel but did have fun with the little ones!

Picked up our game cameras, a ground blind. I was gonna take down a couple stands and relocate, but the time and mental effort required would have been too much with the kids milling around, so i'll go back and get them another day.

I might actually try for some WMA opportunities this coming year as well (just something different). So I may not want to leave all my stands on the property, I might have to bring one of them back to the house instead of leaving at the lease. we'll see.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:55 pm

Just got off the phone with the landowner, out of the blue he invited me over to bag a spring turkey!
He said no one has hunted them this year spo "C'mon and get you one"

Interestingly enough a few weeks ago on my last day of deer season I heard a nice boy gobblin' on his roost nearby ;)

Not expecting this...........do I go bow or shotgun.........hmmmm

PreviousNext

Return to Florida