Do you like Florida,s new season dates?

Huntingdad

Do you like Florida,s new season dates?

Postby Huntingdad » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:00 pm

I hunt down is south Florida. I really did not like the heat this year. It was over 100 deg for the first few weeks of archery this year. Not to mention 100% humidity as well. I really thought I was border line heat stroke a few times this year. Walk with gear a few hundred yards min to each stand or blind. Ground blinds were out of the question unless they were in thick shade. FWC claimed it would produce better hunting opertunities because of the early rut. Not only were our bucks not in rut till Sep but it was to hot for the deer to travel much. With all that summer brose along with summer water everywhere the deer just were not moving much. So I was wondering who else did not like the new dates. Also the 4 weeks off ending on Thanksgiving stunk as well.

Sailfish

RE: Do you like Florida,s new season dates?

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:43 pm

If I understand things correctly they are really trying to adjust the dates to align with rut activity in whatever part of the state you reside. For the most part from talking to some it is 'closer' now then in times past. Others still feel they are off the mark. I did read that they know they haven't all the areas pinpointed and there may be another tweaking, but it is still Florida(rutting activity is all over the place). I don't think every region will be able to be fully accomodated, but it seems good they are trying.
FWIW, my archery times weren't even close to anything. Heck when gun season came in the bucks were just being reported as still in bachelor groups without any serious signs of dominant bx, just light sparring.

I'm still on the undecided fence. Gonna give it another full season next year (see if my area is tweaked anymore) and make a sound decision then.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Huntingdad

RE: Do you like Florida,s new season dates?

Postby Huntingdad » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:08 pm

What area are you in Sailfish?? I agree with them trying something and timing the Florida rut is like trying to nail jello to the wall!!!

Return to Florida