Newbie needs Mentor

MnMario125

Newbie needs Mentor

Postby MnMario125 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the hunting community. I've been quite interetested in hunting for the last two years but have been actively researching for the last 6 months. I've picked up some tips here and there from this site but in all honesty i'm very raw when it comes to hunting. I've read a few articles that suggest finding someone that you know that will take you with them. Problem is, no one I know hunts. Are there any experienced hunters that wouldn't mind taking a long a newbie.

Or does anyone knwo of any clubs that I could join that do some classes or group hunts (hell not sure if there is such a thing, but I figured it can't hurt to ask).

Cheers!
~M

***Edit: I live in Brooksville, FL. Hernando County. North of Tampa.

Sailfish

RE: Newbie needs Mentor

Postby Sailfish » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:36 pm

Hello Mario, just off the top of my head ( not sure if you've started here with your research yet):

http://myfwc.com/RECREATION/Hunt_index.aspx
It has tons of info. Hardest part is figuring out what license to apply for, how, priority points etc
Its confusing to say the least.

Not sure if your into archery or not but there are a few  clubs around. They have 3-d shoots regularly. It is a GREAT place to meet fellow hunters.  One is sort of near you. Gasparilla Bowmans club. Check it out.

Also http://www.floridaarchery.org/index.htm is another great resource.

Hopefully other FL members willl provide you with yet more info to peruse
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

MnMario125

Postby MnMario125 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Thanks Sailfish!

I'm taking it all in and have been researching here and there. but any information from experienced hunters is always great. I will check the sites you mentioned.

Cheers!
~M

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:32 pm

Hey,

If you know anyone who owns private property who would let you hunt there, you would be in good shape. Otherwise you will have to hunt public land or join a hunting lease. Since you are new I would not suggest joining a lease, it is very difficult to know if a lease will be good or not and until you have a lot more experience you will probably end up wasting money on poor quality leases.

If you have any relatives or friends who live in another state in a rural area who own land or can get you permission to hunt on some land you may want to try hunting out of state. Florida is one of the toughest deer hunting states.

If you hunt public land here in FL, you are going to want to turn in for quota hunts, look that up on the fwc website under 'Limited entry hunts', unfortunately you just missed the drawing for spring turkey.

Deer season usually begins last weekend in sept. and runs through mid Jan depending on which part of the state you hunt in.

Deer season has an Archery season, then Muzzleloader, then General Gun. So if you hunt with a bow and a gun you have a much longer hunting season.

Turkey season is in April and March.

If I were you I would begin turkey hunting next spring. That would give you plenty of time to attend a hunter safety course, get a shotgun and some other basic gear. I would use that time in the woods in the spring to get used to the woods and start learning how to scout for deer season. Plus turkey hunting is really exciting once you find a good spot.

Check out the local Florida hunting Forum if you haven't already, TONS of info there:

http://www.floridafishandhunt.com/fishi ... /index.php

Feel free to ask any other questions...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Return to Florida