2011-2012 deer season

Sailfish

2011-2012 deer season

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:29 am

Eveyone have everything in place?
I know some regions already started Archery.
Mine is in October.
Went out to the property this past weekend, checked some things out. Surprisingly it was pretty dry especially since here on the coast we received alot of rain lately.
The bucks dropped most of their velvet in the last week or so as well.
Nice 8 has been seen running around and a very tall tined, rank 2 point and some smaller bucks.
Lots of does.
Seeing and hearing acorns dropping.

Also a bonus my 4 yo boy went with me and he found 2 osceola feathers! I missed em both and he spotted them.
Makes a dad proud. Nice to know I have some birds around too ;)
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Sailfish

Re: 2011-2012 deer season

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:07 am

Left work early yesterday and drove out to the property (last Saturday was archery opening), climbed up and waited.
Excitement was high, it was my "opening" day. I hadn't been to the spot for a considerable time so I was confident it was "clean".
Waited, waited, dusk approached. Not seeing anything!!
Looked down and a fawn scampered by (first thought was where the heck did it come from!! Wierd how that happens), then another fawn, but the shooters wouldn't show.
(This area is a staging area for their nightly rounds. Typically I will see the fawns, then the does pop out... all before last shooting time)
I got a glimpse of a body moving through the thick stuff, .................but nothing would come out in the clearing.
I just KNEW they were there. You know how you get that feeling? Anyways dark descended, I waited, then started my climb down.
And then the symphony played.
I bet there were a dozen of more deer 60 yards away in an 270 degree arc. PFFFFFFFFFFT, pffffft, pfffffffffffffffft, ppppFFFFTT, I heard more blowing than at a Mozart wind concerto!! I was pretty upset.........but it was a done deal
What was funny (well not really funny, but .....) was, I know they heard me, but I don't think they saw or smelled me cause they weren't in any hurry to move they just kept on with their symphony, but didn't move away. I stopped for a bit, but after a few minutes I figured the cat was out of the bag by now, so I finished getting down .......then I hear some hoove's bounding into the forest.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:43 am

Got out yesterday, saw/heard zero deer. Thought that was odd.

Dark came, started down in my climber, all of a sudden the woods starts crashing!!! Something huge is literally boring though the woods crashing brush etc. I am about 8' off the ground and I am like WTH!!?? I had a moquito suit on and couldn't see well in the distance so I removed the head piece to get a look.

STAMPEDE! Something spooked the cattle and they were moving. They flew by me bucking and hauling behind. 2 stopped directly under me. One looked up and I said "Hey Bossy" HA she bout jumped out of her hooves. I waited til they all passed me and headed out of the woods into the field before I got down (wasn't sure if more were coming or not).

When I got to the field they must of saw/heard me, and they came running after me (kind of a chilling thought) and "surrounded" me in a 200 degree arc or so. I was like "C'mon Bossy, move on!" Nothing doing. Finally I just made a quick gesture and the herd hauled back across the field.
Never saw cattle stampede in the woods (or a pasture) like that before. Something spooked them. Maybe chupalacabra

Oh and I literally ate half dozen bat sized mosquitos. They were worse than the cattle I think.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:31 am

Moving this up to push the spam out of view

Return to Florida