Looking for a new set of binoculars

Bryan78

Looking for a new set of binoculars

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:59 am

The one I have now is a Bushnell that is really for the most part too big and heavy to carry out in the field.  In an open field situation they work great as I can see far out even though they are not variable.

I want a new pair that is lightweight but yet can see far out.  Any thoughts?

Cut N Run

RE: Looking for a new set of binoculars

Postby Cut N Run » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:20 am

I have a set of Leupold gold ring compact binoculars that are 10 x 25, which I love. They stopped making them a few years ago, but make something similar these days. I love the Leupold guarantee and the fact that they are made in the U.S.. I have never had trouble with mine and if I ever did, they would be covered. Their compactness, clarity, and durability have made me a believer. I'm sure there are less expensive binoculars out there that might get the job done. These are worth every cent I spent on them.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Dan Salmon

Postby Dan Salmon » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:14 am

True compact and lightweight binoculars are at best a compromise. 

Probably the best binoculars, IMO, for a hunter are fully multi-coated roof prism binoculars in the 8x40 or 8x42 range.  They will run in the 30oz. to 40oz. range in weight, but with a binocular harness in lieu of the provided neck strap, they become almost non-existent. 

I find 10x to be hard to stabilize while glassing without a solid rest.  The 8x binos don't, for whatever reason, seem to be as critical when used unsupported and you get the same amount of light gathering performance from 40mm lenses than 50mm lenses you'd need with the 10x binos. 

Now, you also have to keep in mind that I'm hunting woodlands and clear cuts, not vast open expanses of the west.  If I were hunting in the west, I would probably get the 10x and a tripod.

A good book article to read, if you are interested in doing a little bit of research before you buy, is here http://www.24hourcampfire.com/binoculars.html  the author has also written a book about binoculars, rifle scopes and spotting scopes that you can get at amazon, barnes and noble, etc.  I my opinion this is where you will want to start before spending any big amounts of money on optics.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:31 pm

Thanks guys for the responses.  The one thing is that I want to keep cost very low.

I know this is going to sound funny but has anyone ever used those 1050 binoculars that is suppose to let you see up to 35 miles?  If so, how were they and are they worth the money?

Webyshops.com

Postby Webyshops.com » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:33 am

I am not sure what your price range is, but one brand that has been making a very strong entrance on the scene is Vortex. They come from the birdwatching background and their attention to quality is top notch. Keep hearing nothing but great things about them from customers.

Their Diamondback line is probably my favorite.

Sailfish

Re: Looking for a new set of binoculars

Postby Sailfish » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:53 pm

Wondered about the vortexas well.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

Muzzle-Loaders

Postby Muzzle-Loaders » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:06 pm

I was at a friend's shop a couple days ago and he recommended some Alpen binoculars. I was a little skeptical because I wasn't that familiar with the brand, and had only just seen them online. I thought they were a pretty good binocular, and I liked the pair that I tried because they're a constant focus, so you don't have to mess with focusing for different ranges. I want to mess around with them more on another day, but for the price, they seemed like a good value.

On that same subject, I'm in the market for a pair for decent binoculars. If I can get one with a rangefinder, that would be great, and I'm open to suggestions. I'd like to stay under $250, so I will probably have to do without the rangefinder. I'd only be using them to glass before using my spotting scope.
Happy Hunting & God Bless

www.Muzzle-Loaders.com

charlie 01

Postby charlie 01 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:55 pm

Bushnell has a variety of sizes. I have an 8x Bushnell H2O (water proof) that is mid-sized, (not large and not very small). Seems to be just right and comfortable to use. For hand held always go with 8 power, The 10x is too much to hold and keep steady.
never say never
patience is the companion of wisdom

Return to Optics