Good scope or binoculars

bsyracuse

Good scope or binoculars

Postby bsyracuse » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:35 am

I'm relatively new to deer hunting. Last year I purchased a Savage 111 .270 that came with a Nikon prostaff scope. Because I'm new to this, I'm okay with the scope because I don't know any better. I never really got to test it out last season because I started late and I never saw anything. I was thinking about getting some binoculars before this season starts. I have some Nikon binoculars I got for free. They are the smaller $100 model. Thought about stepping up. I'm wondering if my money would be better spent on upgrading the scope that came with it first? The areas I hunt in are heavily wooded and I wouldn't take shots over 250 yrds. Just curious what other's opinions are and I have some gift certificates I need to use. Thanks!

Retranger

Re: Good scope or binoculars

Postby Retranger » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:31 pm

Not being a smart %#s but I have never been able to see 250 yards in heavy woods. I did kill a nice buck at 100 yds but that was in open hard woods. Nikon is a good product I think I would stay with what you have for now. Use your gift cert. for other hunting related items.
Doug

bsyracuse

Re: Good scope or binoculars

Postby bsyracuse » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:02 am

Yeah, the 250yds was a bit of a stretch. We do have some power line lanes that go beyond that, but I wouldn't take that long of a shot. Thanks for the advice!

Return to Optics