burning a spot with multiple sits

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
roughrider 123

burning a spot with multiple sits

Postby roughrider 123 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:20 pm

I have over 30000 hours of camera time on scrapes, trails and i almost never get a buck more than twice a season on film. I hunt private club with land adgoining no hunting areas. During late october, i get alot of daytime pictures on scrapes in cover of bucks . Since they are usually all different bucks, would it be wise to sit the entire week of daylight activity? I have a signpost rub 30 yds. away and im in a funnel along a creek bottom loaded with thick honeysuckle. this was the first year i hunted this stand, first sit 16th of october. I took a small 8pt at 7am and 2 other bucks came thru by 8am. i got down a 9am. i set a camera up at signpost rub that also has a large scrape, lots of visits by bucks that last week of month. With the right wind, i want to sit 6 mornings straight that week, hoping the right buck cruises thru. Over the last 2 seasons, last week of october is better than all other weeks combined according to pictures. I hunt high pressure deer with long seasons in pa., most of largest bucks are nocturnal except for that week. What do you guys think? i acces from a roadside with a cut trail to keep my scent down.

Woods Walker

Re: burning a spot with multiple sits

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:28 pm

They are where they're at when they're there. BE THERE.

One thing's for sure......you can't kill them sitting at home.

Just make sure that if at all possible, when you do sit it, sit there ALL DAY. After close to 5 decades of deer hunting I've come to believe that it's our numerous comings and goings to and from our hunting areas that "burn it out" far more than our occupying a stand.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

HuntingFool94

Postby HuntingFool94 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:46 pm

I hunt a field edge in a back corner next to CRP field - I make sure to use tree line to enter and leave, less deer see of me the better. A friend hunts opposite tree line about 200 yds distant but he walks in corn field outside tree line - deer seem to prefer my side versus his - he is always irked about my kill ratio. I explained to him but he is not willing to take the harder route. So be it.
I don't set cameras until September and I get the pics only once a month - when I come and go it is through the woods where deer have a harder time spotting me - I always wear full camo - no jeans, no orange, and scent control and gloves all year every time - no advantage to the deer.
"don't stink, don't move, don't make noise"

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:51 am

I have 2 spots like that...in that.... it is where I've shot most of my bucks and have the highest sightings...Going on 15 years now. It has evolved from an escape route to a staging area back to an escape route a few times...this seems to go with the activities on the neighboring property...logging and fire wood in swamp area they escape to and farming crops they feed in at night. There I sit in the middle...I go in an hour before light...many times walking right in on them ...just to hear fights and chasing as I'm still climbing the ladder....in the after noons I usually sit an hour before any movement happens. ...but I shot one 8pt buck right after a neighbor walked down his trail...stopped waved and turned around...the buck seconds later, stuck his head out of a bramble patch right where the neighbor stood and watched him walk away...then came past me...I arrowed him at 5yrds. Most of the bucks I shoot there I've never seen before, like last years buck.
IMG_0942.JPG
IMG_0942.JPG (264.84 KiB) Viewed 2874 times
Romans 14:10
Romans 14:13
James 4:11
Luke 6:37

rthomas4

Postby rthomas4 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:24 am

Depending on the wind, I may hunt the same stand for several days during the week, and have often killed a deer in the morning and again in the evening from the same stand, and then gone back the next day and killed a third one. It all depends on the herd, the patterns, and what the attraction is. Since I plant food plots and bait with corn, those help to keep the deer in the area. I'm able to pick and choose which deer I want to kill, since I usually have literally hundreds of pictures to study and identify which ones need to be culled, or are prime.
NRA LM, NAHC LM, Buckmasters LM, The Second Amendment Foundation, GOA, NAGR, Palmetto Gun Rights, QDMA, DU, NWTF, ASAdisabled sportsmens' alliance, EDH, and Proud SC redneck REBEL for life.

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:57 am

I have an 15 acre set of woods/small field that if I hunt more than 3-4x a season..........they disappear for the most part.
I even noticed (despite every precaution i could take) that if I visited it more than once a month, they don't like that either.

Nowadays, I do all my stuff post season, keep visits to 1 x month and then stay away completely 2-3 months before season opens.
I go in during 'active' times.
If I hunted that area 1 week straight.......i'd be hurting to see deer through the season.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:10 pm

That's where I part ways with ...well most of you guys...I make sure I'm on our property daily...by the end of August I can walk with in feet of the resident doe and they never move...having two different areas to hunt ...the other being and hour away. I watched the difference in deer attitudes....here at home where ppl are out and about on their lands...farmers, residence the deer tolerate us...down at camp where there are hundreds and hundreds of hunting acres with only a few residence in a square mile...deer will spook at the slightest hint of humans. the guys success rate at camp especially for buck isn't nearly as good as mine here at home...I want every doe out there to know my scent...now with that said....Because the doe are here and fawning the bachalor groups are off us and usually in the swamps or the local out of state hunters properties...Having a peaceful summer...until August then the local woods get very busy...stands..fall hidie holes being planted lanes being trimmed ...fire wood cut...the illegal dropping of corn ect ect. This is the time I severely limit my activities...for those deer don't know my scent but they do want to find the girls and find some peace and quiet. Since they follow the home range doe, when they don't spook at my scent...those new boys tend to not head for the hills either...for they see no outward sign of threat...

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:41 am

My buddy has some acreage he lives on as well (it borders a 15K preserve).
He can sit on his porch, year round, and have 8-10 deer feed a mere 10' from him.
Everyone around him is the same way. The only time the deer will spook, is if you stand up or get out of your 4-wheeler
Quite amazing to me.
More amazing though, is the surrounding 150+ acres of pvt land.............no one hunts .........at all.
I'm working on that part ;)

Yesterday
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:51 pm

This is something new for me...Buck in the summer!!....200 pics in a week and I have strolled through this area at least three times doing different things(work/walking)... believe it or not it's a bedding area as well...I'm not about to post the best but here's a sampling....I suppose the deer here just forgot to read all the rule books ;)

IMAG0075.JPG
IMAG0075.JPG (264.18 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

IMAG0079.JPG
IMAG0079.JPG (272.38 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

IMAG0101.JPG
IMAG0101.JPG (242.15 KiB) Viewed 2708 times

IMAG0114.JPG
IMAG0114.JPG (295.96 KiB) Viewed 2708 times