Ground Blind

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
msbadger

RE: GROUND BLIND

Postby msbadger » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:50 am

Map ..I bought a 50.00 ground blind for turkey hunting this year...took it down to camp and set it up on the edge of a woodland meadow and then propted branches up on each corner and along bottom...the next morning I had 35 deer 3 being older buck come in to with in 20 yrds of that blind...one buck got mad at my jake decoy after sniffing it and startling...so he came back knocked it down and stomped it.....I'll be bow hunting out of it this fall for sure...need to sett them up and air them out and spray with odor control of some type...I also water proofed mine...helped a little......

MAP2269

Postby MAP2269 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:09 pm

Thank you for the info..I guess I'll give one a try this season. Still hard for me to see using one and not be detected.Again thank you and good luck this year

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:57 pm

Map,
 Get one with shoot-thru screens and worry more about your personal scent than being visually busted.

shadow

Postby shadow » Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:12 pm

Map, After setting up and sitting in a Ground Max ground blind while turkey hunting this spring, a doe came in to within 10 yards of the blind. She was not able to detect me as I sat in there dressed all in black, with the screens all rolled down, but she did know something in her woods was there and out of place.
She stuck around for at least 20 mins., being extremely cautious looking around brush at it.  If I were deer hunting I would not have had an open shot.
My suggestion would be if you use one, get one thats comfortable for you and that you can draw your bow in without your arm or bow hitting the sides, and set it out at least 2-3 weeks before your hunt so the deer can get used to seeing it there, and so any scent would have disipated.

vambo991

Postby vambo991 » Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:09 pm

I've watched huntin' shows where guys took bucks from a ground blind with their bows, but I've never taken a mature buck in a crop/food plot from a ground blind. To be honest, I've never SEEN a mature buck or doe in a field during shooting light, except I've occasionally seen mature does get chased into the open during the rut. The bucks chasing them all stopped just inside the tree lines. I just don't think a ground blind would do me much good. I have to get really close to their bedding areas (too thick for ground blind) and play the wind just right to have a shot at a mature animal.

MAP2269

Postby MAP2269 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks guys for the info. I'm going to give it a try. It's going to feel weird not being in a tree 20' up. I have to JUST DO IT. Thanks

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:05 am

Definitely try the  ground blind.  We have several set up and leave them up for most of the year.  I have never taken a deer from one, but do have trails going by within 15 feet and have seen several non-shooter deer while in them.  They are the inexpensive Ameristep brands.

Last year both bucks I shot were taken while I was on the ground doing nothing more then setting up with a tree between me and where I thought they would come from. 

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:56 am

I never thought that GB's worked until I started using one myself. The inside being dark hides you from the deer very well. I only use mine in foul weather, and recommend brushing them tight,to keep the wind from making flap noise and moving them. My only complaint is the sitting shot, I'd rather be standing. 
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:45 pm

Ground blinds can work great, hunting off the ground is no problem if you set it up well before hunting season and also keep wind direction in mind.

do every thing like you were putting up a permanent stand.

I don't use them but i have set up several for my dad who is sixty-four and needs a knee replacement, he got a nice eight point last year and sees plenty of deer.

though he does not always know if he is looking at a buck or a doe!!!!

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:29 pm

I'm considering one for this year.  I'd think scent control would be the biggest issue.  I realize you need to set them up a couple weeks early so the game gets used to them.  To any one that uses them:  How much of a beating do they take sitting out in the weather?  Can I leave one out all season?  Will it be OK after siting a while, or will it be tattered?

Next

Return to Best Practices