Ground Blind

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
wischunter

RE: Ground Blind

Postby wischunter » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:09 am

Thanks for advice

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:00 pm

I have put up a ground blind and hunted in it immediately without spooking the deer that came around. Maybe that is more the exception than the rule, but I think good location with blending backdrop and some tree/grass camoflauge on the blind helps tremendously.

bobow

RE: GROUND BLIND

Postby bobow » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:58 am

I have been trying to hunt out of a Double Bull blind for three years now.  This last Thursday, I had a small buck come trotting up and stop 3 yards from the blind, dead down wind and take a dump.  He proceeded to eat some grass, look around and look in the blind several times.

He took a few steps and repeated the routine, looking at the blind once in a while.  When he finally turned his head I was able to finally grab the bow and nail him quartering away at 7-8 yards.  That was a rush.

Point is I had the mesh down, was wearing black on the upper torso and he didn't see me.  What amazed me the most was he didn't wind me.

I did set the blind up against a wind fall tree and did pile some brush on top and around the bottom.  It has also been out there since the end of September before the Oct 1 season started.  Since I don't get much time to hunt due to the work load, it does not get over hunted so they are not getting a lot of pressure.

ARROWSMITH

Postby ARROWSMITH » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:59 pm

This is my third season hunting from a ground blind, I have taken 3 deer from mine so far this year.  I set it up in the open at the begining of the season and have had deer walk within stabbing distance of it while I was inside. I take a book, mp3 player, lunch, blanket,you name it and sit comfortable, in a nice chair all day. I've had young deer try to all but stick there head inside of it trying to see what's in it but they never see me.  Needless to say I don't sit in my tree stand much anymore.

If you get one I would recommend the one I have.  I got if from sportsmans guide for about $80 and it litterally sets up in less than a minute and comes with a nice back pack carry case that buckles across your chest, and you can still shoot your bow while carrying it.

I would also practice shooting from it to find out what is comfortable for you. I'm pretty tall so I can't just stand up and shoot from mine, I have to either bend at the knees and shoot or as I have done this year, I lay a board across the arms of my chair then sit on that and shoot (by the way I do alot of moving around while the deer are present, and I've never been busted).  The best thing about blinds is YOU CAN'T FALL OUT OF THEM!!

Hope this was helpfull.

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:21 pm

I've been fortunate enough to harvest 2 deer with my bow from ground blinds.

In a perfect world, I try to set them up a few weeks in advance of using them.  The trouble is, my land is so open that the wind could (and has) blown the blind away. 

I currently have my blind set up on the edge of a swamp next to a well used trail through very high cane grass.  I'm sure it's frozen down now and will be there til Spring!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

Crossbow_Hunter74338

Ground Blind

Postby Crossbow_Hunter74338 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:13 am

I bought a ground blind last year on sale its made by yukon if anyone has heard of that brand Ive never hunted outta a ground blind...Do you have to weather seal than like a tent? Do Deer Pay A lot of attention to then? any info you could share or tips would be nice
Theres Only 2 Seasons "Getting Ready For Deer Season" And "Deer Season"

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:29 pm

I bought a ground blind last year on sale its made by yukon if anyone has heard of that brand Ive never hunted outta a ground blind...Do you have to weather seal than like a tent? Do Deer Pay A lot of attention to then? any info you could share or tips would be nice

I suggest you check out the forum "Ground Hunting, Still Hunting & Stalking" here.  There is a tremendous amount of information there from the past.  Just click on the link.

I would also suggest you use the search function for some other information in different forums.

Some of the suggestions I learned - if you can get them set up a month before assuming you are hunting the same area.  They will get used to them.

Brushing them in will help.  As far as waterproofing I guess it depends on the material.  One concern I would have is the smell.  Maybe it would go away if you leave it out to weather but then the UV rays may deteriorate it?

I have a ground blind and all I do is set it up and soak it with a hose and so the fibers/fabric will swell.  I have done that with tents in the past and had good luck when I used to camp.

Good luck!
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

SplitG2

Postby SplitG2 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:48 am

Not sure what the terrain is like where you hunt, so what I am suggesting may not be possible.  I like to find an area of thick stuff and cut out a place for the blind.  Then add limbs and brush to break up the outline of the blind.  Just my opinion but I would not set it up out into the open.  They are great to hunt in for getting out of tough weather (rain, wind cold etc.).  Where I hunt ground blinds are usually the only option.  We have some places where the cedar trees are tall enough for a tripod.  It also helps to set it up in advance of you hunt (I put mine out labor day weekend and leave up all season.) so if it were to spook the deer they get used to it, it becomes part of their environment.  If that is not possible I would be even more careful to conceal it/brush it in.

Previous

Return to Best Practices