Ground Blind

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
DeerCamp

RE: GROUND BLIND

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:32 pm

i usally throw it over by a pine tree and put branchs around it.. or just put it by some branchs, ive never really had a prob with deer being scared of it.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:39 pm

shadow... i to have that same ground blind.. you have any probs with it? my inserts broke on mine and i went to the website and found they where 45 bucks for them.. i was very upset seeing i paid only 90 for the blind brand new.. couldnt believe it.. so becareful with it bud.

also danesdad, buy some water proofing and spray it on it.. it will make it last a LOT longer.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

twotone3

Postby twotone3 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:11 am

This past season is the first year my hunting partner and I tried using ground blinds and we were pleased.  He set his at the end of a row of hay bails and the deer didn't even seem to notice it was there at all.  Where as mine I set in the wide open on the side of a hill.  The closest tree or bush would've been about 30 yards away.  I had two bucks walk within 25 yards of me and neither one seemed to be spooked in the slightest.  Now the does on the other hand seemed a little more cautious and stayed between 50 and a 100 yards out.  We put our blinds up one day and used them the next.  As far as scent control we sprayed the outside of the blinds with a scent blocker but that was it and we still had deer walk down wind of us and they never seemed to notice.  So we will definitely use them again this year. 

hunter480

Postby hunter480 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:56 am

My hunting partner and I have used commercial ground blinds. He`s had a shot at a buck while bow hunting, and has also killed a button buck during gun season with his muzzle loader out of a ground blind.

I`ve had deer coming in to me while hunting the late archery season in Indiana. Wasn`t able to make the kill.

We use them, and plan spots for them. We try to get them put out at least by August for use duting the October 1 bow season, into the Mid-November gun season-even into the late December muzzleloader season in Indiana.

Danesdad-all the manuals I`ve read recommed NOT leaving them out year round-they don`t even recommend leaving them out for weeks at a time, but then, I`ve always bought the lower priced blinds. Typically, the Outhouse by Ameristep. My buddy and I though, HAVE left blinds out for weeks on end, and they`ve been great. I think the biggest reason for concern over leaving them out was the camo bleaching in the sunlight.

Try them out for sure-DO brush them in, set them out as early as practical, and do weather-proof them just like a tent. It can be exciting having deer come in to you in a commercial ground blind.

wisbowhntr

Postby wisbowhntr » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:13 pm

Map when you use a ground blind make sure you wear all black inside it or you will stick out like a sore thumb .I had this happen last season in mine because I was wearing a light camo in my blind .Also lay bracnhes on it or stick them in the ground around it to break up the corners of the blind .I shot a doe out of mine last year at 10 to 12 yard away .Good luck Map .

shadow

Postby shadow » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:25 pm

Deercamp..I've had no problems with mine, yet. You got a good deal at 90 bucks new. I paid 120.00 at a Cabelas store, Probably cause I live in Ct., more money in this state you know. Although its not in mine or my wife pockets or accounts.

Danesdad, I had left a small Ameristep blind out last year and the year before from late August until mid November with no problems, I staked it down, tied it off to a few trees and put a little brush around it, It also had been under the canopy of trees. It still looks new. I will be placing the new larger blind I bought this spring out and hopefully it will also work well for me.

Good Luck!!

buckhunter21

RE: Ground Blind

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:11 pm

Welcome to the forum wischunter...I myself am actually from WI too and love to hunt in this great state!  Where do you hunt?  I'm in west-central WI.  Anways, to answer your question, how long has it been since you put that blind up?  If it's recently, maybe the deer need to just get used to it a bit.  They will notice new things in their surroundings immediately, but after they notice that it's no longer a threat they should get back to their normal patterns!

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:02 pm

From what I've read and observed, things should get back to normal within a couple weeks after the blind is set up.  Good idea to get it set up early.
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

WhitetailFreakHunter

Postby WhitetailFreakHunter » Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:54 pm

I put my ground blind up several weeks ago so they get used to it.  Pretty soon they'll just be walking by it like it's been there forever.
Whitetail it's more than an passion, it's an addiction.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:39 am

What you are probably seeing is a seasonal shift in the patterns of the deer rather than a response to your blind. The other possibility is that somebody is coming in behind you and hunting that blind when you are not there.

When you look at all the stuff I do in the woods, you would wonder why I have any deer coming near any of my stands.  This year, I took down two ladder stands, put up a third and then took the first two, repainted them and located them to new spots.  With the ladders that were already in place, I went out and sprayed rust inhibitor on all the new surface rust-- all this before Oct 1.  In almost every case, I was driving a truck to within 50 yards of the stand, schlepping the 84 lb stand in or out, and using absolutely no scent control whatsoever.  I also had to re-shingle one of my ground blinds due to Hurricane Ike.

Normally I would have had this all done by Labor Day, but we had a death in the family, and the funeral arrangements pushed back all my hunting preparations.

The results? The funeral went off about as well as could be anticipated. We had to do all the arranging long distance, because Granny was up here in Cincinnati, and the funeral was down in. . .

. . . oh, you meant the stands.  Sorry. 

So far we've had  KY's Yute Season, and KY's Early Muzzleloader Season, and my two sons both bagged doe.  I had probably a dozen or so chances to score, but I am holding off for rifle season.  Of the 3 dozen sightings of deer we've had since Oct 1, most were within bow range.

One other datum to throw in here:  On the way back from scouting the other night, I walked past the entrance to the new stand sight I set up for my son.  The property's resident monster buck (we call him Chandelier)  broke from cover and ran off straight down the track I'd run with the truck and directly towards my son's stand.  He's also been sighted directly under one of the newly painted stands.

My point in bringing this all up is that you can do a lot stuff in the woods and not scare off deer. Erecting a ground blind and then letting it lie fallow until season probably means nothing to them.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices