Stumped on early-season Plan... Any advice?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Jslotter

Stumped on early-season Plan... Any advice?

Postby Jslotter » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:04 pm

I am going bowhunting this season and I have an issue. There is an open clover field out front of my place with standing pines to the west (neighbor's land) bordering the field and a mixed hardwood forest on the south end with a steep ridgeline going east and west (Family land) bordering the field, and open field and pastures to the east and North. There have been 2 giants feeding out there recently, and the deer usually hit it hard all the way into October. These two bucks dont come out to far when they feed, they stay relatively close to the neighbor's fenceline. So the Wisconsin Bowhunt starts mid-September which makes patterning these bucks so easy for a kill in the first week or two. But my problem is there is no suitable trees to set up a stand and very little concealment to ambush these bucks near the field. The Pines to the west is off limits to anyone, and thats where the bucks come from. The fencelines that border the field are exposed and barely any concealment is available. I do have a ground blind but that might spook the deer from there as it would stick out like a sore thumb. With these bucks, it might be to risky. I would appreciate some good advice on what I should do. This is probably the first time I ever been stumped on pre-season planning.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

badtoys

RE: Stumped on early-season Plan... Any advice?

Postby badtoys » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:35 am

set up a popup blind for a week in back yard to get smells of it move it where you want it with rubber gloves on or in the rain  by the time season comes they will be use to it not expecting anyone to be in it ,or a tractor or or farm trailer what ever they are use to
WARNING: The lead contained in this bullet has been known to cause severe injury and even death. when travelling at over 2100 feet per second.Surgeon General's Warning: Getting smoked by one of these bullets may behazardous to your health.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:12 am

People will call me predictable, but in all honesty what you have here is a PRIME opportunity for a ghille suit. Imagine being able to set up WHERE EVER YOU WANT, as long as you are in a shadow, and/or can use the terrain or any cover to your advantage. Couple that with MOBILITY and what more could you ask for?

Of course, you won't have the creature comforts of a blind or treestand, or any place to hang your bow, pack, camera, harness, etc., but then on the other hand you won't NEED them either.

Marc Anthony is a VERY successful early season hunter doing this very thing..........

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm. ... 75&mpage=1
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:56 am

I would set up a ground blind and brush it in real good with any of the surrounding grasses,corn stalks,tree limbs or pine tree branches to help conceal the blind!Leave it sit out for a while so any scent will disapate or spary it down with some scent-killer.  

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:47 am

Thanks guys, Woods Walker, thanks for reminding me, I totally forgot that I do have a squared away Ghillie suit i put together. I even made Ghillie accessories for my bow, that might be my course of action. I will have to experiment the popup blind in a different field to see how the deer react first. I know people say they get used to them and such. I just want to see for myself. I plan on taking one of these bucks come hell or high water.

DEERBOSS

Postby DEERBOSS » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:11 am

IN UR SITUATION I WOULD USE THE GROUND BLIND, IN THE PAST I HAVE EVEN SETUP THE GROUND BLIND IN THE MIDDLE OF A FIELD, BUT I HAD PUT IT OUT THERE WEEKS IN ADVANCE SO THE DEER WOULD BE USE TO IT BY THE TIME I WANTED TO HUNT THE BLIND. OTHERWISE YOU CAN MAKE YOUR OWN GROUND BLIND WITH TREE BRANCHES ALONG THE TREE LINE.

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:49 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

People will call me predictable, but in all honesty what you have here is a PRIME opportunity for a ghille suit. Imagine being able to set up WHERE EVER YOU WANT, as long as you are in a shadow, and/or can use the terrain or any cover to your advantage. Couple that with MOBILITY and what more could you ask for?

Of course, you won't have the creature comforts of a blind or treestand, or any place to hang your bow, pack, camera, harness, etc., but then on the other hand you won't NEED them either.

Marc Anthony is a VERY successful early season hunter doing this very thing..........

http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=48675&mpage=1

As much as it pains me to say it Woodsie is right [:@]  There..I said it!  Have nothing against Gillies, just not my cup of tea.  I saw an interesting espisode of In Pursuit w/ Greg Miller and Son.  They had a similar situation and managed to fashion a homemade gillie out of live clover or Soy bean plants.  The fields were 3 foot high and they both stood in the middle of the fields where the deer would come to feed.  In their homemade suits they were perfectly concealed.  Greg was on lookout and his son stayed crouched down.  When the buck was within range and looking away he gave his son the signal.  He quickly popped up and managed to get a shot in.  While the admit it was a bit unorthodox and risky, their plan paid off.

Also think if you put a blind out early enough you just might get them used to it, as others recommended and would stand a good chance as well.  Either way good luck, if nothing else you'll have a great story and have learned something in the process.

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:00 am

I might go with the blind close to the woodline. If the field isn't cut between now and bow season, I think it will be easy to ghillie up and disappear in the middle of the field or somewhere near the fenceline. I also might throw some treetops on the fenceline just to break up my out line. I got ideas stirring now. Cant wait.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:08 am

Do what you want, but the ghillie is a WHOLE lot less work, and trust me....IT WORKS!

I used to do all that blind buliding stuff to to make an ambush in a situation like this, and most of the time I was always just not quite in the right spot. Then I got and learned how to use the ghillie, and the ease of mobility absolutely amazed me.

If you already have one, why not use it here? It's a perfect set up for it.

I actually do a shooting practice for a situation just like yours. I lay on my stomach with my bow on the ground in front of me. Then raise the upper part of my body just enough that I cant the bow, draw and then get the shot off. Granted, this is a 15 yard and less deal, but I can do it accurately enough that I'd try this hunting. Different? Yes. But imagine if you connected this way! It would be a hunt that you'd remember forever!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:02 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

I actually do a shooting practice for a situation just like yours. I lay on my stomach with my bow on the ground in front of me. Then raise the upper part of my body just enough that I cant the bow, draw and then get the shot off. Granted, this is a 15 yard and less deal, but I can do it accurately enough that I'd try this hunting. Different? Yes. But imagine if you connected this way! It would be a hunt that you'd remember forever!

Ya know, just two nights ago people laughed at me when I told them Im gonna ghiilie up, lay on back out there and shove a boot knife into the Buck's throat when he comes over to sniff at me, It does sound psycho, but it can be done, especially with a tactical ghillie suit. But, I want to take him with my bow. I will play fair.[:D]

Next

Return to Best Practices