Stumped on early-season Plan... Any advice?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Woods Walker

RE: Stumped on early-season Plan... Any advice?

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:51 pm

WHOA!!! I may try to be Tonto, but I sure as hell ain't Rambo! [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:51 am

You say that the place where these deer come from is off limits to hunters. Have you considered that, if you shoot one whether from a blind or a ghillie suit, it will probably turn and bolt into the no hunting zone. You might want to secure permission to enter the area to retreive a downed deer.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:18 am

ORIGINAL: danesdad

You say that the place where these deer come from is off limits to hunters. Have you considered that, if you shoot one whether from a blind or a ghillie suit, it will probably turn and bolt into the no hunting zone. You might want to secure permission to enter the area to retreive a downed deer.

Good point. And I would also state that if you cannot enter the adjacent area, then I'd say that it's NOT "probable" that the deer would go back in there, but A DEAD SET GUARANTEE!!!!

Did you know that "Murphy's" favorite sport is bowhunting? [:D] [;)]

I live on 5 acres surrounded by oak/hickory woods. It's legal for me to bowhunt on my place, and two of my neighbors would have no problem with me retreiving a deer.....but we all know that's NOT where the deer will go to die, and therefore I don't hunt on my place. The neighbor drama just isn't worth it.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:34 am

I don't have one or haven't used one, but have been thinking about it because I have a similar situation.

The "mirror blind".

If a guy got out there plenty early the night he planned on hunting and set up the mirror blind will the deer even know that you're there and not have to worry about getting used to or "spooked" from a regular blind. Just need them there once and if they're that patterned now and you have a high chance of getting it done in one night, I think it's the way I'd go.
I can tell you're worried about pushing these bucks nocturnal and it might be all it takes by going out there and setting up a blind early or going to build one and stink it up.

I do think the ghillie suit is another good plan of attack, the only thing that worries me about the ghillie and why I've hardly pulled mine out, besides a little still hunting, is the movement you need to do to draw a bow on the ground and not have the deer pick it up. I'm sure Woods Walker has shot lots of nice deer with his on the ground but the movement is what makes me not trust mine.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:12 am

Well here you are quite right, but although I get CLOSE enough to deer often enough, getting that shot IS the ultimate challenge. Witht he gun it's not that big an issue, but with the bow it sure is. If I don't think I can get it done, I let them walk, because for me having them kissing close and then walking away unaware of me is the next best thing to making a kill. Besides, by doing this I've not "educated" the deer, and the chance of having another encounter is not out of the question. What is odd though, is that the shots I have gotten I didn't think would be as easy as they were. As I was making my move, I kept thinking, "He's GOT to see me! Why hasn't he bolted?", but they didn't!

In some ways, I sometimes think that if you are directly behind a deer's head when you make your move (deer is quartering away, maybe stps to turn it's head and look at something else), then the CLOSER you are, the less likely it may be able to detect you, as maybe it's blind spot is larger when you are closer.....just a theory anyway.

You really have to be able to stay calm (which in and of itself is a challenge when there's a nice buck that's so close you can see his nose quiver), and be able to anticipate the deer's next move and body language so that you can make your drawing move. Trees help this, as well as having the deer facing the opposite way so that you're not in it's line of sight, or having it's attention drawn away from you (decoy, scent wick, etc.). The advantage of the ghillie, is that even though you are in full view of a deer's eyes, they DON'T know what you are, and are not "looking for a reason" to be alarmed....if you know what I mean. It's not easy with the bow, but it IS the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:09 am

ORIGINAL: danesdad

Yeah, I've thought about that. Just the other night all the deer came out to feed and they came out alot farther than usual. That might be an advantage. I might throw some corn out to draw them away from the fenceline. The neighbor on that side of the fence is a dick. He took 2 of our camp's deer that were wounded that ran into that land and took one of our neighbor's deer too under the same circumstance. Our camp asked for permission and wouldnt let them track the deer. I was in the middle east at the time and wanted to beat this guy's ass. So, If any of those bucks do bee line it into the neighbor's land I think I will skip calling him first and have the Sheriff deputy come out and make sure I get my buck.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:49 am

Jslotter Thats a crying shame you have neighbors that are unwilling to work with local hunters! Especially when it comes to retreiveing a dead deer! But I don't think there's a State in this nation that will allow you to do so even with a sherriff/warden present! it would have to be a court order. But I could be wrong! You can always try to offer him money for the use of his land to track that deer its a thought>>

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:18 pm

Ground blinds are tough, even in good conditions for one. I've used one many times, and have yet to get a deer from one. I still try it and I think they have their spot, but it's hard.

I've never tried the guillie suit, but I want to sometime. I think its a great idea, and for this situation, I think it might be the best idea. With no experience under my belt, my opinion isn't as valuable as others, but I would go the guillie route.

The other thing would be if you can possibly get a tree stand up. I know you said there are no suitable trees, so if that's the case, that's the case. I'm not doubting your statement. I will throw this out there, though. I have been hunting a marshy area for a few years that has about 3 trees. They're not good trees, and I avoided putting a stand in them for a couple years because I just thought they didnt provide enough cover, and they weren't all that tall. But they were healthy enough to hold a tree stand, so one year we just stuck some stands in them and hunted them. Each tree is completely isolated, so there is nothing for back-cover, but its been working. Even putting stands in the same trees year after year, we still get shots and see plenty of deer. So if you have any trees that can support a man and a stand, don't dismiss putting up a stand too quickly. Ive also discovered that getting upwards of 20 feet as opposed to only 15 feet makes a huge difference for me. It's like your invisible once you hit that 20 foot mark. I never believed it would matter until I tried it, now I feel out of a place lower than 20 feet, and hunt at 20 any time I can. Safety harness, of course. But those trees I hunt in the marsh, we only get 15 feet in those, and the leaves fall off and leave us hanging out in the middle of nothing, but we still get shots. Good luck. I love the early season. Make sure you keep us posted!

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:42 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker
The advantage of the ghillie, is that even though you are in full view of a deer's eyes, they DON'T know what you are, and are not "looking for a reason" to be alarmed....if you know what I mean.

WW, that's the ticket!

That's what so sweet about the Ghillie suit. If they do notice you, they don't have a clue what you are. Being inquisitive creatures, I've had them walk right up to me while I was drawing down on them! In fact, I remember once I even felt sort of guilty because the buck was so curious, he simply walked up to me in almost a friendly way. I drew on him while he was only 10 yards away and he didn't flinch until the arrow hit him.

In my opinion, there is no better way to hunt whitetails. The Ghillie is a mobile ground blind and offers the hunter very few limitations. The Ghillie will blend in grass, trees, shrubs, crops and even in the open! I took a monster buck in 2005 (204") from a cut bean field when he walked right up to the field I was walking across. I knelt on my knees and made myself look like a bush with nothing in front of me or behind me. He fed within 30 yards of me when I sent him dessert :-)

If you haven't tried a Ghillie suit, you don't know what you're missing! For the first time ever, I'm going to get filmed hunting in a Ghillie suit in Kansas next month. I hope I get some good footage because once you see how it's done, it really opens up your hunting opportunities!

IF you decide to try it, you have plenty of good sources to refer to! Woods Walker has been at it as long as I have and we have shared ideas in the past. It seems like we both are on the same page and can offer many helpful hints if needed. I also mentioned this before: I did a webinar for Deer and Deer Hunting and they sell that here for only $9 or $10 bucks. I don't get any of the proceeds but I did it to open up a new world for anyone interested in trying something different. Here's the link: http://krausebooks.com/product/How-to-K ... r4951y0278

Good luck!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:49 am

Yesterday I put out my trail camera and last evening 7 deer came out and 4 of them were bucks out in that field. I watched as they went insane over the camera on the fenceline. They would sneak up to it, sniff it, then bolt away a few yards. They did this for about a half hour. I sprayed down the camera with scent away before I put it up. Probably not good enough. I hope I got some good pics of the bucks I am planning on taking this year. I will post them if I do.
I am definetly going with the ghillie suit plan. It makes more sense to do that. The trees that border around that field are mostly young popples. And they are still about as big around as my leg. The neighbor has all those nice straight thick red pines, perfect for a climber stand but we all know what that guy is all about, so thats a no go.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Previous

Return to Best Practices