late scouting

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
msbadger

late scouting

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:07 am

Well the snow is just now melting pretty well...but..Yesterday I under estimated...started out for a short hike and well 5hrs later ..exhausted I arrived home...snow that was mid calf got to be knee high in places and my brain wouldn't let me turn back...so down the hill I went and that is where all the deer and turkey went in the deep snow we had....to the neighbors and some of our swamp and his swamp/pines...I found their travel routes and the turkeys roost and travel route....where they are bedding and watched as a few fed on wht spruce needles...which is a real starvation type food...when I started back going up hill in my same tracks(which didn't feel any easier[&:])...I looked down to see a group of deer had follwed me down the hill using my tracks until they could use the stream I crossed...They could have cared less what I smelled like!Route of least resistance

So when things become more manageable...stands and blinds will go up...then they can go back to their undisturbed routines this late spring.. summer and early fall ...by the way yes 5hrs and I went....4000ft down and 4000ft back up...something that in no snow takes me an hour with wondering around a bit...but I was trying to not have a heart attack[;)]

SwampLife

RE: late scouting

Postby SwampLife » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:22 am

walking in knee high snow is crazy hard, esp. climbing vertical earth.

I think it is worse than the knee high water I am used to down here. well, thats not factoring in the snakes and gators... but thats a diff story.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:58 pm

Badger you can't be far from me. I hunt Erie county in pa and it is the same depth. I do remember you saying your from new York state. So I do feel your putty on that walk ha ha last 3 hunting seasons knee to waist high snow!

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Actually it was just plain STUPID....I honestly don't know what I was thinking!...lifting each knee up to hip high just to clear the snow...and it was wet so the snow pants I wore to keep snow out of my boots...by the way that didn't work ...were soaked and my boots were soggy in side and out...aauugg I hate not being able to hike in the woods...and yes ..so stubborn ..I refuse to pay inflated prices for the new snow shoes[&:]...and what fun is it walking down a road?...BORING...it's been in the high 40's and 50 here for last few days...I really thought the snow had melted ...obviously more that it did. Lord..the farther I went the more my mind said awhh it will get shorter...NO...common sense had left the building[8|]

bmstaaf....we are more in the middle ...between Rochester and Hornell NY....but as you know the hills around the Finger lakes get hammered....We travel down to Ackleys every spring to gun shop...isn't that in your area? 

bmstaaf

Postby bmstaaf » Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:40 am

Badger I am a few hours from tioga county where that shop is but your right great lakes area does dump a lot of snow. I hunt mina and findley new York, the increase in license kept me away this year but who knows what next will bring. I am in the chimney of pa. Use to go to rodchester all the time when I played soccer, big migration pattrn for waterfowl neat place.

GTOHunter

Postby GTOHunter » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:10 pm

I did a lot of Late Scouting when it snowed here but didn't have to trudge thru any amount of snow like You had MSBadger! [&:] [&:]

I found several nice trails that the Deer have been using to cross from the Neighbors land over to our Farm,it gave me a much better sense of how they slip in and out of the woods un-detected and it gave me an insight on where I need to make my stand placements to help me in having a better chance at harvesting a Deer in the future!

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:10 am

ORIGINAL: svr2112

Would you go eat in a resturant that was "white's only?" Then why would you join the Boy Scouts?

If someone is in the Boy Scouts that means one of two things to me... One they don't care enough about civil rights to stand up for equality or they are to ignorant to know the difference... or perhaps they enjoy the fact this organization allows them to feel superior...

There are much better, and worthwhile ways to serve your community, which do not make you join and organization that spreads hate and ignorance.

If you are 16 years old you should know better!

chairs | office chairs

???????? Set the crack pipe down, and walk SLOWLY away from it. You'll be alright in a while....really...... [8|]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

berudd

Postby berudd » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:41 am

Woods,

Pretty sure he is some sort of spammer.  He had 6 posts and at least half of them have nothing to do with the thread.  It seems that they key on some word in the thread and then post some odd off the wall rambling.  Odd becuase a couple of posts seem like they were written by a humman.  I reported it to the admins to see if they want to take action.

Ben Sobieck

Postby Ben Sobieck » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:51 am

We've removed that post and user from the forum.

berudd

Postby berudd » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:41 pm

Cool.  Thanks.

Return to Best Practices