Scent Attractants - Tuna Fish?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
sgwink

Scent Attractants - Tuna Fish?

Postby sgwink » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:59 am

Hello all

I read several threads in here as well as others and I have also tried everything from Buck Bombs, Tinks, My own Pee etc....

Nothing conclusive on my end other than my suspicion that it was fate and good timing that drew them in.

With all the discussions, talk etc - There is one statement I will make that I believe in: Hunt where Deer are and you success gets better.

This said, a friend had suggested to me to try his grandfathers lure. This consists of using a Zip Loc baggie filled with Tuna Fish from Spring Water.

I am no spring chicken and I know where Left Handed Gerry Rigs, Sky Hooks, what Snipe hunting is and Flux Capacitors are located - and this sounded just like the fore mentioned tricks or teases.

However I know this friend well enough to know that after really pushing him he seemed genuine and claims that this has been passed on for 50 years in his family.

Proof is that this friend gets a Buck within the first two days of the season and has done so for the last umpteen seasons claiming this is the mode to go by. Of course this came with swearing I told no one ( so much for that eh? ).

He hunts in a great spot near a creek, in a transition of areas yet claims each deer comes in down wind, and head to this baggie of Tuna.

Has anyone heard of this technique, trick or sham? If its a trick or Sham, I would think others may have heard of this.

If not, it lends me to believe for what its worth, to try it, or at least sacrifice one weekend to seeing what happens. Course I work for a living and my time is precious and the risk I am being shammed is always in the back of my mind...

Suggestions? Comments? Cares?

Woods Walker

RE: Scent Attractants - Tuna Fish?

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:32 am

[font="Verdana"][/font]I've never tried it for deer, but when I trapped years ago, it was THE BEST bait that you could use for 'coons....barr none!

I would guess it would work for deer simply as a curiosity lure. Once more people in a given area use it and "educate" the deer, then it's effectiveness may wear off a bit.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:49 am

i remember reading an article about 'carnivorous deer', eating fish that washed up on a shore, also some raiding birds nest along a shoreline and eating the chicks.

i wouldn't doubt it.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

epd68

Postby epd68 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:39 pm

i am not a big believer in scents but i have taken mature bucks using granular scents by a company called 24/7 especially with a product they offer called EARLY BUCK the granules are spread within bow range 20-30 yds in a scent line which ends behind a tree . the bucks i have taken had their snouts pressed to the scentline and end up with their head behind a tree when the arrow strikes .....save the tuna for lunch

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:18 am

I'm not surprised that tuna would work, after all a buck in the rut is very curious. A friend of mine was out hunting and, after a morning of still-hunting, he decided to take a break. While sitting on a log, he was hungry so he took out a tin of smoked oysters for a snack. After eating a few, he wedged the tin in the fork of sappling (to finish later) and then went back hunting. Later on, he went back to retrieve his snack and arrived just in time to watch a buck snatch the tin out of the sappling and run off with it. Go figure!

Successful hunters are those that think outside of the box and are willing to try new things. I remember when I bought my first grunt tube 25 years ago. People were saying that it was a gimmick and that I was wasting my time and money. Who now doesn't go out without a grunt tube in their pocket? Unfortunately, many hunters won't experiment unless a "pro" writes an article or a commercial product gets pushed.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:11 am

ORIGINAL: SwampLife

i remember reading an article about 'carnivorous deer', eating fish that washed up on a shore....

I must have read the same article.

In order to see if tuna works, why not put some out in front of a trail camera?

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:52 am

I think EveryDay Hunter has the ticket . Put it in front of a trail camera . My money is on Racoons or a stray cat getting it first ! [:D]
Semper Fi !

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:01 am

If that's the case perhaps a can of sardines mighty work better?....beware....when friends have had skunk living under their porch I recommend an open can of tuna set 50ft or so from the house....sit on the porch with your rifle.....problem gone

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:13 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

If that's the case perhaps a can of sardines mighty work better?....beware....when friends have had skunk living under their porch I recommend an open can of tuna set 50ft or so from the house....sit on the porch with your rifle.....problem gone

[font="Verdana"][/font]You betcha' badgie! That's what I call the "ten cent solution"!!!! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

fasteddie

Postby fasteddie » Wed May 19, 2010 2:40 am

What the hell does Golf have to do with using Tuna Fish for deer bait ? Someone must be hitting the bottle early in the morning ! [8|]..[8|]..[8|]
Semper Fi !

Next

Return to Best Practices