Ground blinds

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
mag30079

RE: Ground blinds

Postby mag30079 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:47 am

Try to set up your blind with back cover. If there's no cover make some up. Take some limbs and brush and try to blend in the blind to the area. Clean the floor on the inside of the blind so you don't make any noise, take the leaves and cover the bottom edge on the outside. This will blend the bottom in well and keep the cold draft out. These are some things to get you started, there's much better hunters on this site then me and I'm sure they could add some more tricks to your bag.

Good luck and good hunting

paulie

Postby paulie » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:21 am

If possible, put the blind in place(at least a few days) before you want to hunt it. Deer are very aware of their surroundings, they seem to be nervous about, "new things" in their world.  Like Mag said, try to set up so you have back cover, use some native vegitation to help hide it.  Cleaning the leaves and other debris from inside, will help you be quiter when you move around.  I've gone as far as to place a piece of scrap carpet in it to keep my gear off the dirt, if you do this, spray the hell out of it with scent killer (or whatever scent elimination spray you use).   If your bowhunting from it, pratice shooting out of it before you take it to the woods. That way, you can try to fix any issues you may have. If your gun hunting with it, you would be wise to place some type hunter orange material on the outside thats visible from all sides, even if it's orange camo.   Good luck and hunt safe!

Squirrelhawker

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:49 am

If you're like me and choose to shoot with the windows open rather than through the mesh, try to set the blind so that any approaching deer cannot see right through any 2 sides. Angle the window openings or otherwise adjust them so you can maybe peek out one, but your primary windows should not be opposite if it can be helped.

Wear black on your head and upper torso.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:56 am

All good advice. 

It's too late now, but the earlier you can get it set up the better.  I'm talking weeks if possible.  Deer will eventually accept it, but it may take a little bit of time.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

cjgaleana

Postby cjgaleana » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:39 am

Thanks for all the advice.

msbadger

Ground blinds

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:37 am

Well I've shored up my older ground blinds and made new ones...couple of the boat seats need ...hhhmm DUCK tape [8D]...but they are still intact and in a minute I go to get the lawn chair to paint camo....I picked up 2 camo tarps 7'x11' and will get the framing material for the portable blind I'm making...portable in terms of our property...I figure If I make each wall separate...I can drill 3 corresponding hole in each end piece then pin the walls together...the roof I will frame to fit just inside the walls and have 2 corresponding holes in each corner to pin the roof to the top of each wall...it will have a bit of over hang  for rain...well if I'm going to get this stuff done I'd better get moving...[;)] 

You guys have any plans? 

duckunder

Postby duckunder » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:10 am

That's a good idea Badger... what are you useing for frame material, angle iron ?  I just got done making a frame out of a bunch of old crappy 2x4's... I made it big enough to put a regular ground blind inside of this frame, and then I'm going to brush it all in against the wood frame... I don't know, we shall see how it works... We had are land basically clear cut this year, so not alot of trees for tree stands and ones that are there, you will stick right out, so I'm trying the ground blind thing this year...... I'm sure I will learn as I go.....    I do  like your idea tho, I might have to think about something like that also......

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:20 pm

Because I want it light weight ...I'm thinking on cutting 2x4's in half   I'll cut triangular corner braces...plus have the framing for windows to give it good structure and I'll anchor it down for the wind...but the sides.... well I am taking the camo tarp and cutting to size then rolling it over the edges of refrig and freezer boxes, I'll also cut to size ...then tacking it to the frame...this will keep light completely out ..except windows and keep the wind from causing the tarp to make noise.......you'd be surprised how much moisture those boxes handle and still stay in good shape....

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:53 am

Took two of the wht plastic lawn chairs dad gave me out...painted them drk grn...olive grn and grey...and placed them in the blinds...sat down for a min....well 1 1/2 hrs later the skeeters woke me up and I got home at 7:45...thankfully dinner was in the oven and OK...lol I'll have to watch that during hunting season[8D].....

Randy3003

Postby Randy3003 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:56 am

I hunt Florida, and use almost exclusively, natural occurring blind material, as a lot of the manufactured stuff tends to stick out a bit to much, and gets appropriated by those who choose not to buy their own.  It works out well and I have a better success rate now that I'm using natural blind material.  So far no theft or vandalism.

Next

Return to Best Practices