Ground blinds

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
John1961

RE: Ground blinds

Postby John1961 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:26 pm

Wishes I had land to do the same Mrs. B. But I don't so I bought a pop up ground blind. Works great. Warning: Don't open one in side. LOL
John
U.S. Army Retired and Proud American
Black Water Hunting Club
" BUY AMERICAN "

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Mon May 17, 2010 3:47 am

I have one of the doghouse blinds and It works great for camp...I also have a small one sided "Jake" blind for moving around...but a few of our Gander Mnt reward certificates were due to expire so I got one of the chair blinds..I took it out Saturday....and had a very angry hen walk around it twice looking for me and then she hopped up on a log 10ft in front of me to get a better look...For the life of me All I can get to come in are hens ...and plenty of them...for the racket she was making and I'm talking over a period of 40mins!!...Toms from the next counties should have come in..but NO1[>:]...nothing since the 2nd...Any how those things are the nuts...light easy to set up and take down...but a shooting stick is a must for staying ready and little movement   

shadow

Postby shadow » Thu May 20, 2010 11:27 am

I am building a permanent ground blind out of sections of a privacy fence.
My neighbor took down part of his fence and the sections are 8 feet long by 6 feet high. I took some of those and plan on posthole digging 4 corner posts planting either a couple old 2x4s in each corner or a 4x4 and screwing the fence sections in. On the back side i plan on cutting out a section for a door, reinforcing it some and then put it on hinges. Shooting holes will be also be cut and framed out in the field so I can get the correct height and size I need. For a roof I plan on just cutting off the tops of the fence some with a downward pitch to the rear, and screwing in 3 or 4 1x3's I have laying around and then stapling an old tarp up. It'll be easy, BIG, and free. It should also last for many years.

ms...are you using the boat seats for the blind?? Thats got to be comfortable.
With all the deer you may have taken there holds in your memory a special place i'm sure for each one you killed.

shaman

Postby shaman » Fri May 21, 2010 2:14 am

ORIGINAL: msbadger

Well I've shored up my older ground blinds and made new ones...couple of the boat seats need ...hhhmm DUCK tape [8D]...but they are still intact and in a minute I go to get the lawn chair to paint camo....I picked up 2 camo tarps 7'x11' and will get the framing material for the portable blind I'm making...portable in terms of our property...I figure If I make each wall separate...I can drill 3 corresponding hole in each end piece then pin the walls together...the roof I will frame to fit just inside the walls and have 2 corresponding holes in each corner to pin the roof to the top of each wall...it will have a bit of over hang  for rain...well if I'm going to get this stuff done I'd better get moving...[;)] 

You guys have any plans? 

I don't have plans, but I do have a few ideas. Of all the methods I've tries, my favorite was taking thin plywood, backing it with 2X4's and then assembling with deck screws. These panels are then leveled by adding scraps of treated lumber to the bottom to act as legs. The floor is made simply from plywood on top of skids.

All the plywood panels get several coats of good quality paint. I hunt the Ooops Bin at Lowes, Home Depot, etc, and snag anything that looks good.  I've had blinds up for 8 years and they're cheap interior plywood, but the paint job is holding like new.

The best roof I've been able to come up with so far 1X4 screwed to 1X4 with roll roofing over the top.  Most of the roofs I've made have been totally over-engineered, but a lot of that is due to the scrap materials I have at hand. What I've found with tarps is that they don't last.  The sun eats them up, the wind tears them up and there's nothing left .
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Blazed

Postby Blazed » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:27 am

I made a blind out of pig wire and burlap. Worked great for 2 years. I shot 2 deer out of it. I think I cut 16' of wire covered it in burlap on both sides of wire. Took a wire cutter and cut out windows. Carried it out rolled up. Formed it in a circle, used wire hangers to stake it down. It was very portable.
 I now have 3 gander blinds with shoot thru mesh and love them, especially in rain or possible rain. I found the green lawn chairs work excellent for my bad back. 

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:49 am

Hey guys, check out this camo vinyl that I found on another forum. This could be very useful in making ground blinds, thought I'd post it since it's not overly expensive for the amount you get.

Camo Vinyl for Blinds

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:28 pm

svr2112....living and hunting in a very windy and extreme cold area...the...say Dog House blinds..... don't always cut the mustard I have one of those and a chair blind...and some of us..I know I do...just enjoy the project in it's own right...but..... I just made this small gun blind for a total cost of about $42.00 and it will do fine keeping me dry and relatively warm this gun season... 

Gulfcapt

Postby Gulfcapt » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:54 pm

Thats a pretty niffty blind you made MsBadger,and the cost is great to! Lowe's has a camo pattern 4'x8' sheet OSB board I was shooting around in my head to make a blind out of, but that would end up costing over $100.00 to build.. So I think I will REthink this...

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:14 am

Gulf capt....This isn't the original plan I had in mind....but still rather portable due to being so light weight....the start to well almost finished is in the general section under crate or box blind on the cheap...rained all night and she's nice and dry...I gorilla taped all seams and the roofing nails I used to secure the tarp...I can lift one side of this easily with one hand....  

Previous

Return to Best Practices