Late season mid-day hunting?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
mbcook

RE: Late season mid-day hunting?

Postby mbcook » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Up until last deer season i have never been one to sit all day or even go during the middle of the day, but one of my buddies called me up around 11 one morning next thing you know i found myself sitting in a treestand at 12 olcock in the middle of the day thinking i wasnt going to see a thing.....well next thing you know out walks a mature 9 point and he is on the ground at 12:10 i was pleasantly suprised how well this mid day hunt went for me , and i will be sure to put myself in the stand for some mid-day hunts this year.

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:31 pm

On a more melancholic note, there is nothing that makes me feel as if I'm losing something of real value as when the sun starts to set on the final day of the hunting season. At that moment I start thinking about and planning for next season. Bet some of you have felt that a time or two.

Indeed!!

buckwrangler

Postby buckwrangler » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:12 pm

Yeah, pressure's going to obviously be higher in the morning because there's a gross misconception that morning is the best time. Dusk and pre-dusk are prime times, when your prey is moving from higher ground bedding and security cover to evening feeding areas...ESPECIALLY when the moon is right. Mid-day is OKAY, but deer are hunkered down and more wary. Better to plan your hunts in the late afternoon and as close to sunset as possible, when they're on the move and less wary because of the drive to eat. Most hungry critters make more mistakes and are less cautious when they're hungry, including people. And don't discount hunting DURING dusk. You still have plenty of the light that is scattered by the atmosphere, even though the sun is below the horizon.

Check out HuntByMoon.com to get the best hunting times AND best deer habitat zones, based on your geographic location and for any date of the year.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:26 pm

SPAM ALERT! SPAM ALERT! Another "SOMETHING FOR NOTHING" advertising thief!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Previous

Return to Best Practices