Scent Control

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Goose

RE: Scent Control

Postby Goose » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:45 pm

-All of our laundry(street clothes,towels,wash rags ect...) is washed in Scent Killer detergent,starting a month ago.
-Scentblocker clothing will be washed and reactivated next week,then stored in a separate air tight bag.
-Under armour and other hunting clothes will be washed, air dried, and stored in activated charcoal bags.
-Then those bags will be stored in an air tight bin.
-All my gear including bow,bino's,grunt call,safety vest,range finder,release,decoy,bow case,ect.. Will be washed in a scent killer/water solution.
-Truck seat will be sprayed down periodically with scent killer.
-Before each hunt I will wash and shampoo myself with Scent Killer soap,towel off with a scent free towel, and get dressed in scent free street clothes.
-I will change everything except boxers upwind of parked truck.
-Brush my teeth and mouth at the truck with scent killing toothpaste and water.
-Spray everything down before heading out.
-Wear rubber boots and spray Natural (non estrous) doe urine on the bottom of my boots.
-Bring the minimum with me. The pull rope,knife,camera ect does not need to go in the tree with me.
-Dress as light as I can for the walk in.
-Sit with the wind in my face.

I think that is everything...
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

coach

Postby coach » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:21 pm

My scent free routine.   WOW....that's a tough one.

I don't sleep with my wife the night before....I sleep on the basement couch.  Now that is scent control.

I wash my clothes with ...regular soap...just to take off the remainder of last year's deer blood.
uh...what else.

Before entering the woods....I spray some kill scent....
Once on stand....I spray some kill scent....

I play the wind.  If the wind is wrong....I think of how stupid I was for not sleeping with my wife.
Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:43 pm

Her name wouldn't happen to be TOBY now would it? [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

DoeEyed

Postby DoeEyed » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:01 pm

I started using unscented detergent on all of our clothes, bedding and towels about 2 months ago and will continue to use it year round. I will also be getting unscented dryer sheets and utilize them year round. I use to use fresh earth dryer sheets but will not use them anymore because the scent is sometimes too strong.

I store all of my hunting clothing and towels in a rubber tote that I washed down with unscented soap and let air dry when I first got it. All of my clothes will get washed a week before season and then repacked into the tote. I will also wash down my rubber hunting boots with unscented soap and let them air dry and store in a rubber tote. All my gear will get wiped down, air dried and stored with the boots.

Before I shower I will go outside to have a cigarette then shower with unscented soap, shampoo and conditioner. I also have unscented lotion and chap stick. I floss my teeth then brush with baking soda. I stay as hair free as possible to reduce scent. I towel dry my hair the best I can an let it air dry on the way to my stand.

I dress in moisture wicking base layers..shirt,pants,socks then put on other layers and gloves. Spray myself down with Scent killer and take a very slow walk to my stand so I don't get sweated up. Once in stand I will put my hair up and my hat and facemask on. I try to breath through my nose as much as possible.
All I have seen teaches me to trust the Creator for all I have not seen ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

east_coast_redneck

Postby east_coast_redneck » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:25 am

Does anyone have any advise for a hunter that sweats heavily?  I have and continue to use every scent control tactic but I can't get to the stand without sweating up a storm.  I've tried dressing lightly and walking slow but to no avail, I sweat no matter how cold it is.  Any advise would be helpful.  I can't believe that I'm the only one out there that has this problem.

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:41 am

ORIGINAL: east_coast_redneck

Does anyone have any advise for a hunter that sweats heavily?  I have and continue to use every scent control tactic but I can't get to the stand without sweating up a storm.  I've tried dressing lightly and walking slow but to no avail, I sweat no matter how cold it is.  Any advise would be helpful.  I can't believe that I'm the only one out there that has this problem.

Hmmmmm. No matter how cold it is? I have to ask you a few questions to put my finger on it. Sounds more like a medical thing than a scent control process issue. Have you ever heard of "Hyperhidrosis"?? If not, it is a disease that causes excessive sweating. Exercise, heat, and an overactive thyroid are just some of the things that can trigger it. How old are you? Are you overweight? How far are you going to your stand?

east_coast_redneck

Postby east_coast_redneck » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:03 am

I just had my annual physical and everything checked out perfectly.  I'm 54 years old, maybe 20 lbs overweight give or take, and I walk depending on the wind from 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile to my stands.  Don't let my age fool ya I'm in very good shape for my age.  Just to give you an example of the shape I'm in, I was shooting my bow 4 months after rotator cuff surgery.  Anyway, back to the issue.  I've always been this way, even playing football and baseball in high school and college, when I exert myself to any extent I get drenched.  I've talked with my doctor at my physical and he didn't have answer for me. 

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:39 pm

ORIGINAL: east_coast_redneck

I just had my annual physical and everything checked out perfectly.  I'm 54 years old, maybe 20 lbs overweight give or take, and I walk depending on the wind from 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile to my stands.  Don't let my age fool ya I'm in very good shape for my age.  Just to give you an example of the shape I'm in, I was shooting my bow 4 months after rotator cuff surgery.  Anyway, back to the issue.  I've always been this way, even playing football and baseball in high school and college, when I exert myself to any extent I get drenched.  I've talked with my doctor at my physical and he didn't have answer for me. 

I don't doubt that you are in good shape sir. And I meant no disrespect to you in any way. Just wanted to ask those questions to get an idea. If you had told me that you weighed 450 lbs. it would've answered my question. With you being in good shape and all, I would definately ask your doctor if it is hyperhidrosis. Or maybe you just sweat a lot. I got hot very easily compared to other people. This past weekend I was camping with some friends and they all had blankets on at night around the fire. I was sitting out there with shorts and no shirt on and I was fine.

I hope you can figure things out. You could aslo try to make a makeshift system to cool yourself down. When I was deployed in the Philippines we used to take ice, put it into a sandwich bag, and tuck it right under the back of the collar in our shirts. All the blood that flows up to your brain and back around, would hit that cold pack, and would cool off your whole body. Give it a shot.

hunt4fun

Postby hunt4fun » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:39 pm

1.  Before season starts, I wash all my clothes with scent eliminating detergent.

2.  Fresh out of the dryer, I hang all my garments outside for a few days (weather permitting)

3.  Then my early bow hunting clothes go into a hunters specialties scent proof bag along with some gear. The rest goes in rubbermade totes and the bag goes in the totes as well. Then the totes are stored outside under an overhang. I also put pine boughs in the bottom of my totes.

4.  I continually hang my clothes out when I can.

5.  I shower in dead down wind and also spray my clothes with scent killing spray.  

6.  I brush my teeth with baking soda. 

7.  When I am done hunting I spray my clothes again and hang them out again if I can, at least for a few hours... It's not fun putting on clothes that have been in 10 degree temps all night!

8.  I put my clothes on outside, never drive with them on, and never wear them anywhere outside of hunting.

9.  I only hunt a stand if the wind is right.  Scent control is just like a plan B

10.  This is kinda wierd, but I cut my hair shorter because it's more surface area for odors to stick to, or atleast thats how I rationalize it in my crazy head.

11.  I try not to fart....

east_coast_redneck

Postby east_coast_redneck » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:46 pm

Hey my friend, I know that there wasn't any disrespect intended in your response.  In fact I apologize if that's the way is came across.  I appreciate the tip about using ice on the back of my neck, I'll give it a try.  Thanks again!!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices