Scent Control

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Proline

RE: Scent Control

Postby Proline » Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:30 pm

This debate goes on on. People are on two different sides and always will be. If you keep clothes wash, clean and in totes or hung in fresh air that really is all that matters. Been doing that way fpr 15 years and rarely do I get busted. I do not own and won't own any scent lok. Personally, your breath and sweaty feet inside your boots get you in more trouble than anything. I just finished reading a book from written by one of the best bow hunters in country. To para phrase his thought in one chapter. if scent lok is so good at trapping odors why do I still smell my farts on stand........................

riverrat

Postby riverrat » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:10 pm

Get a boot dryer, moister=bacteria=odor! I only wear rubber boots and a boot dryer is a necessity down south. [/color]I try to eliminate as much human scent as possible. I only use my hunting clothes for hunting and for scent elimination I use non-scented soap for showers and baking soda for washing clothes (line dry), storing clothes and other stuff. It works! One key thing is never wear your hunting clothes except for hunting, put them on right before you go in the woods and take them off as soon as you leave the woods. I see hunters putting gas in there truck while in camo.[/color]
[font="comic sans ms"][/font]
[font="comic sans ms"]I’ve never owned a scent-lok suit and agree with proline you can accomplish the same with what I stated above and save $.[/font][/font][font="comic sans ms"]

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Most any good routine of scent control that includes keeping you clothes, body and equipment clean and devoid of as much scent as possible will do you well. I have to wholeheartedly agree with Woods Walker on his point about movement. Often times it's not your scent that gave you away, it was your movement. If you think you are being still, be even more "stiller". (yes, I know that is not a word) I look with me ears as much as with my eyes. Can't wait for this fall to do it all over again.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:21 pm

@ohio farms-not to get off subject ...but is that a goose with a white squirrel tail your holding?...or a skunk with wings?....i seriousely can't figure out what the hell it is? maybe a black guinea pig with a white tail and white wings...? ohhh man what is it...??????????? help!![:)] [:D]

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:53 pm

It's a skunk that I trapped next to my barn last spring. Took me a week to catch him. I caught him in a conibear trap and he is still in it...thus the wings.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:03 am

I believe the different reactions to human scent everyone sees is dependent on your local deer herd and human pressure. I used to hunt in MI and the deer there were Spooky Supreme.! I paid for a hunt on a cattle ranch in S. Dakota. The cowboys took me out to put up a stand, at 1PM, drove up to the tree, sawed off limbs, left on ground, put the stand up,we were all sweaty, and left me. At 3PM the parade of does and fawns, and bucks came down the trails with little reaction. Stepped over the fresh cut limbs. I would not have believed it had I not been there! Now in IOwa, the deer are not quite that tame but alot less spooky than MI. In areas with less hunt pressure, and farming going on, I think deer tolerate a certain amount of human scent.

bmorris

Re: Scent Control

Postby bmorris » Wed May 11, 2011 1:41 am

You haven't seen anything yet ? Something is coming that should change the game.

kellory

Postby kellory » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Abuddy I hunt with has the same sweat problem when he hunts. His solution is to use unsented antiperspirent on all the parts that sweat. even the skin of his feet. works for him, and he has taken many deer. A cousin of mine went the other route. He used his worst, most disgusting sweat sock as a drag at the exits he did not want the deer to use, and they paraded past his stand till he picked the one he wanted. Go figure. I use unscented antiperent (arm&hammer) all the time, and unscented hunters laundry soap. Also a tube of vanilla flavored chapstick for cover scent and chapped lips. scent leaves of earth in my gear boxes and bags, estues, accorn, and earth scents while hunting.
The only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker is observation. All the same data is present for both. The rest is understanding what you are seeing.

jonny5buck

Postby jonny5buck » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:30 pm

I talked to a wise man that had used his natural gear coat on a small tree to deflect the deer movement....it worked very well....until another hunter seen the coat one time and picked it up and tore off to the parking lot....the guy that lost his coat said it was only 40-50yds from his stand and pleaded with the man to leave his coat...The bum smiled at him and ran away...lesson learned i guess.....--150 dollar lesson!- :roll:

pgchambers

Postby pgchambers » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:32 am

"if scent lok is so good at trapping odors why do I still smell my farts on stand........................"

Does it have to be all or nothing? If carbon traps even 10% of odor, it can be useful. I doubt anybody believes it is 100% effective(the three guys in MN who sued Scent Lok and conveniently live where Scent Blocker is located excluded of course), but if using it in comination with other forms of scent control can improve my odds even a little, I'll take it(in an affordable package that is). Even that case only concluded that Scent Lok can not claim to "eliminate" scent, because it is not 100% effective. It still showed to have some effect. Actually, I looked into it as a result of a poster on another D&DH forum that kept refering to the lawsuit. It was interesting to find the suing hunters and judge were in the same place as a competing company, and the judge decided that "eliminate" has to mean 100%, as if you can't eliminate 50% of odor. The hunters received there money back for the clothes, and scent lok only had to remove the word eliminate from their adds. In the end, I use a combination of scent strategies, but the biggest is only sitting stands with the right wind. The reason for the carbon, sprays, shower and body products, and rubber boots, to me, is it may get that extra few seconds when a mature deer is close to get the right shot before he bails.
Respect - don't take it, unless you are willing to give it.
Responsibility - don't give it, unless you are willing to take it.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices