Scent Control

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
MoDeer

RE: Scent control

Postby MoDeer » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:09 pm

I voted that it is very important . I take many steps in the name of scent control that I am sure most would consider etreme . I would much rather go too far with scent control , than not far enough .
Johnny

If I cant make a good shot please let me have a clean miss

Lot to Learn

Postby Lot to Learn » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:46 pm

I said fairly, but retiredsailor pretty much summed me up.  I think stand placement(ground placement etc) and "I am the predator" attitude are more important. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:46 pm

Define "extreme".

To one man, it may mean wearing clean clothes when he goes hunting. To another, it may mean plucking all his body hair...yes, ALL of it...and gargling with doe urine.

Again.....CONTEXT......[;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:26 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

Define "extreme".

Well it is a subjective term, but that is the option I chose and I will briefly explain my "sent control" routine.

- All my deer hunting clothing/equipment is kept cleaned, unscented and packed in dive bags, year round.
- I begin taking clorphyll tabs a few weeks before season and keep it up until it is over.
- Before season all clothing receives a drenching of scent killing spray, dried and repacked.
- Before season all equipment is scrubbed with hydrogen peroxide and repacked.
- I keep all my hair trimmed.
- I carry rubber gloves during hunting season for gassing up or touching odorous things.
- I take a shower with unscented soap just prior to leaving to go hunting.
- I towel off with and dress in clothing that have been washed in scent free detergent.
- I cover the seats of my pickup with plastic.
- When I arrive at my hunting area, I strip and dress in my hunting clothes outside.
- My outer layer is activated carbon and rubber boots.
- I spray with scent killing spray all over and carry a bottle to refresh my neck head and hands.
- I suck on apples or chew scent free gum.
- I consider the wind carefully as I chose my stand and my route to it. I never hunt against the wind.
- I bottle my urine and pack it out.

Yes, I occasionally skip a step because it is impractical or impossible and I don't worry about it, but my wife says I have "seasonal OCD".

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:33 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Not sure I follow you. Let me know what options should be added and I'll add them.

I kind of see this as two polls:

A)  How important is scent control:

1)  Extremely important
2)  Fairly important
3)  Mildly important
4)  Not important
5)  I don't know

B) What method best describes your way of taking care of scent?
1)  I take any measure I can
2)  I do my best, but I don't get carried away
3)  I watch the wind
4)  I do pretty much ignore scent and still kill deer
5)  I don't know or don't care

Conceivably a guy could  think scent is extremely  important, but he also thinks cervid noses are impossible to fool outside of religiously following the wind.  I know guys like that.  

Me? I still believe that scent is important. I'm no longer the goober I was 28 years ago, wondering what that snorting noise was.  However, I have seen a bunch of stuff in the past few years that makes me wonder what is really going on. 

1)  I have never used Scent Lok or its ilk, but I have excellent results.  I really could not ask for anything more.
2)  There are times I know these deer are smelling me, but they  don't seem to care.
3)  Then you have SuperCore's situation-- no scent control, he smokes, he kills deer. 
4)  Then Scent Lok gets trounced in court for fraud, and you realize all these guys have been wearing this stuff for close to 20 years.  Not only did the stuff not work, but if you're running stuff through a dryer, it's probably picking up all the stink from the dryer as well. 

It's enough to make you think.  It at least has me thinking. 
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:38 am

J'per.....Yes, I think that makes the "extreme" team cut. I was being comical in my brief comparison, but you even qualified for those!!! Congrats!

As for me.......

- All my deer hunting clothing/equipment is kept cleaned, unscented and packed in dive bags, year round. YES, JUST NOT DIVE BAGS
- I begin taking clorphyll tabs a few weeks before season and keep it up until it is over. YUP!
- Before season all clothing receives a drenching of scent killing spray, dried and repacked. I WASH MINE AND PUT IT IN THE STORAGE TUB
- Before season all equipment is scrubbed with hydrogen peroxide and repacked.   NOPE
- I keep all my hair trimmed. JUST ON MY HEAD!
- I carry rubber gloves during hunting season for gassing up or touching odorous things. NO
- I take a shower with unscented soap just prior to leaving to go hunting. YES. I WILL EVEN WASH MY HEAD AGAIN IN CAMP IF I COOK ANYTHING AT NOON
- I towel off with and dress in clothing that have been washed in scent free detergent. YES, AT LEAST FOR OUTER LAYERS
- I cover the seats of my pickup with plastic. NO!!! THAT CONTRIBUTES TO THE DREADED "MONKEY BUTT"!!!!
- When I arrive at my hunting area, I strip and dress in my hunting clothes outside. YES, FOR OUTERWEAR
- My outer layer is activated carbon and rubber boots. NO MAGIC SPRINKLES FOR ME, I CAN'T AFFORD THE 1500 DEGREE DRYER. RUBBER ONLY WHEN IT'S WET CONDITIONS
- I spray with scent killing spray all over and carry a bottle to refresh my neck head and hands. NO
- I suck on apples or chew scent free gum. WHAT, NO DOE URINE??? I AIN'T TRYING TO MAKE OUT WITH THEM, JUST KILL THEM.
- I consider the wind carefully as I chose my stand and my route to it. I never hunt against the wind. GOSPEL!!!!!!
- I bottle my urine and pack it out. THE WORLD IS MY URINAL

So whada'ya think? Second string maybe? [:D]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:09 am

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

So whada'ya think? Second string maybe? [:D]

Subjective brother! It's totally subjective. You have to make the call.

Ps. Thanks for the tip re. chlorophyll.

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:15 am

ORIGINAL: shaman

ORIGINAL: JPH

Not sure I follow you. Let me know what options should be added and I'll add them.

I kind of see this as two polls:

Okay, I guess I was bluffing.

Not that I don't want to alter the poll, but I don't know how to alter the poll to allow two sets of options. If you post a follow up poll, I promise to vote in it.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:53 pm

I voted extreme.  Deer associate human scent to danger MOST of the time.  The less you smell like a human, the better.  Will this make you an instant rockstar hunter?  No way!  But it helps.  There are a lot of other things that go into being a great hunter.  This is just one piece of the puzzle!  ..a very important piece indeed though!
QDM!

worpion

RE: Scent Control

Postby worpion » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:35 pm

I run the washer twice just with baking soda in it then use scent wash and wash clothes. line dry them and then spray with scent lock spray line dry again then i put all the shirts in a spacesaver bag then vac all the air out i do this with the pants socks underware boots hats gloves etc 
I Live to Bowhunt

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices