WHERE DO YOU GUT EM?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
shaman

RE: WHERE DO YOU GUT EM?

Postby shaman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Scot:  The situation you describe is a new one for me-- taking the carcass into the processor without gutting. 

I had to do it once.  It's a long story as to why, but I arrived at the processor well after dark and the fellow was nice enough to hold the flashlight for me while I did what needed to be done in the parking lot.

JPH:  I actually have seen gut piles last.  In fact, I've seen them rot into the ground.  It's a rarity to be sure.  I normally place them in a spot out in the field where I can watch what comes to it with binos, and sometimes a rifle scope.  They're usually gone within 2 hours-- some in as little as 20 minutes.    However, a few have lasted, and I can't say why with certainty.  There have been two.   They both got put out at night during the height of season. They both were put out in a year where I had heard the rumor that parvo had put a serious hurt on the coyotes.  However, that would not explain why the buzzards didn't hit them the next morning.  The only other odd thing about these instances was that I had to place the piles a bit closer to the house in a different spot.  The fields were exceptionally wet that year, and I had to dump them wherever I could get solid traction.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 am

Where we hunt in west central Illinois, the coyotes are waiting there with numbers in the paws like in a grocery store deli waiting for you to hurry up and leave so they can eat.

Most of the time all that's left is some of the stomach contents and a smear of blood.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:20 am

Hey JPH

If you haven't read this months copy of D&DH yet, there is a mention on page 36 (I think) about washing out the carcass after field dressing on the top two paragraphs on the left side.

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:23 pm

WW & shaman,
I completely agree. My father taught me how to properly gut a deer including breaking the pelvis and taking out the "pooper" [:)]
I'm a big fan of the experience that begins with stand placement and ends with deboning the deer. I'm not as good at cutting up a deer compared to a butcher, and lord knows I probably waste some meat, but each year, I get a little better at cutting up the deer. The only time that I ever take the deer to the processor is if I can get a good price and the weather is too warm to allow for a day or two of hanging before I begin to cut them up.
And about the friends, no offense taken. I've tried to talk some sense into them about learning to gut their deer but apparently my influence isn't what I thought it was.

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:27 pm

Depending on where they fall. I'll either gut em right there or, drag em (a short distance) to where I can drive up to em, and do it there (and then straight into the truck). Less chance of debris getting in the cavity. I also was taught to prop the chest open with a stick (to help speed cooling).

JPH

Postby JPH » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:48 pm

ORIGINAL: Bryan78

Hey JPH

If you haven't read this months copy of D&DH yet, there is a mention on page 36 (I think) about washing out the carcass after field dressing on the top two paragraphs on the left side.

Ah yeah. About that...I sort of...forgot to send my renewal in, so I missed that one. Can you give me the gist of it?

Note to Dan Schmidt: I did find that thing and sent it in, so you can go ahead and do payroll for June. Sorry for the mix-up.

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:19 pm

I generally gut em where they fall, unless it is out in a clear field or close to a place where civilians may encounter the gut pile. I'll drag the deer a short way to do the gutting off a path that people use or out of sight of someones yard. I know the scavengers usually make short work of the pile, but there's no use exposing it to those who may be squeamish.
Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:24 am

ORIGINAL: JPH
Ah yeah. About that...I sort of...forgot to send my renewal in, so I missed that one. Can you give me the gist of it?

I took the magazine to work but basically it said was that "experts" advise against it.  It was one or two sentences long, nothing really.   Like I said I have never had a problem and I feel most will never have any problems if they do it.

I did find this link to the Missouri Department of Conservation and they explain it a little better why you shouldn't wash out a carcass.  Good read!

http://mdc.mo.gov/conmag/2009/10/40.htm

Osty

Postby Osty » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:37 pm

I've always gutted them as soon as I could. Most of the time within 100 yards of the kill. In 2005 I gutted a 10 pt and a doe I shot. Buck was about 180-200 dressed, doe about 140 dressed. I had to drag them to a spot, maybe 80 yards, dress them and drag out to the road, about 1/2 mile. A few days later I shot another doe. Drove the truck down to about 50 yards and tossed her in. About 150-160 live. Took her to the barn and dressed her out.

I like to dress them out because they are lighter to drag out. Bought a deer hauler the following year and hauled out a 6 pt with it. Much easier.

Cut N Run

Postby Cut N Run » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:39 pm

We have a small trailer on the back of the 4-wheeler that we use to get the deer out of the woods.  Then, we take them to an open area nearer to the road where buzzards, raccoons, and coyotes clean it up.  The guy who owns the land where we hunt doesn't want gutpiles left where his dog might get into them.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices