How long do you stay.....

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
scottflesher

RE: How long do you stay.....

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:03 pm

If you believe that some of the mature bucks feel pressure and turn mostly nocturnal, then outside of a hot doe, your best time may be mid day.
Deer must feed (there is always an exception to the rule) every 4-6 hours. If the mature bucks feed before first light and then bed down, they must eat again around noon before they bed down for the remainder of the day. While this theory may not be applicable during all parts of the season, you can see why staying in the stand as long as possible has it's advantages.

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:36 am

I agree with you guys...favorite hunters are the guys that are out for 4 hours and then head back to the truck. Wish I wasn't one of them but I always have so much other crap going on that I am. Whenver possible I try to stay on stand all day long.
Andy

flaDAWG

Postby flaDAWG » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:33 am

I have read that it's Best to enter your stand at Daybreak,eliminates be'n busted,sneak in so u can C what r if u spook sump'n...That's useally when i git there after drop'n wife off at her stand...i try to stay N stand least till 10:30,afternoon's i try to git N no later than 4:30...git's HOT down hear N fla....course we did have a KooL winter last year,hope we have it again...
Hope U all R dew'n finer than frawg hair!...Bsafe!

BigBowMan

Postby BigBowMan » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:05 pm

Well, since I've got a broken back, severe nerve and muscle damage to my upper body and legs, and failed complete knee surgery: I can only hunt from my ground blinds. I will stay out all day early season, morning and afternoon during cold weather. I look up at my tree stands and dream of the days of old! :(
Titan HLX with Accudraw, TenPoint�s 3x Pro-View Scope, Thunderhead Broadheads 125gr and Pro Elite CARBON Crossbow Arrows

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Sorry to hear that BBM. I'm glad to hear you're still out there in the face of all that adversity. Best of luck to your health and hunts.

Previous

Return to Best Practices