How long do you stay.....

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Archer917

RE: How long do you stay.....

Postby Archer917 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 am

[size="3"][font="tahoma"]My days hunting last from before daylight till after dark. But I have had most of my success between the hours of 10:30am and 3:00pm. Don't matter if I get anything or not just love being out there! Only thing that will make me leave early is getting cold and wet. And the older I get the worse it gets.[/font][/size]

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:29 pm

Only thing that will make me leave early is getting cold and wet. And the older I get the worse it gets.

[font="Verdana"][/font]You've got that right!!!!

But that's what good WOOL is for....definately my #1 "Don't leave home without it" item.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:21 pm

I'll put it this way, I'll stay as long as possible!!!! Definitely, I like to keep my intrusions to a minimum (walking in and out), but it's impossible sometimes.  A particular time I love is late morning or early afternoon.  A great amount of my best encounters and sightings have been when hunters are leaving and/or coming in from "lunch" or arriving for  an evening hunt.  To each his own, count on luck or otherwise.  IMO, be out there whenever possibe (depending on your family, work, physical, and/or mental status) and make the best out of it. 
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

worpion

Postby worpion » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:49 pm

All Day with a good book works for me.. all season   
I Live to Bowhunt

dtrain56

Postby dtrain56 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:02 pm

In October, I only hunt morning or nights. I need to move. I usually don't hunt all day.
When the rut kicks in...then I ....Try to stay all day. Either my stands are not comfortable or I'm weak. I can't seem to stay all day without getting out once or twice. My wife blames it on my " no padding butt cheeks."

Same - but ui have plenty of but cheek..

only time i can stay all day is opening of gun cause i see deer movement all day

scottflesher

Postby scottflesher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:23 pm

I agree dtrain, if I'm seeing deer, i can stay all day. After 3-4 hours of no movement, I get a little antsy

KYdeer88

Postby KYdeer88 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:34 pm

If I can I will sit all day usually with a tail gate lunch. Early bow season I just cant sit in the stand when it's 90 so you'll probobly find me in a dove field after lunch, but once it cools down, and if I have the time I do enjoy hunting all day.

ajkrem22

Postby ajkrem22 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:19 am

During the pre rut I usually hunt from 1 hour before sunrise until 10 or 11. Get out of the woods and try to get some chores done and see the fiance. For the afternoon hunt I head back in at about 3 and hunt until dark or all the deer are out of my area.

I usually try to hunt different stands aa I know certian one's produce better at certian times of the day.

During the rut and rifle season all bets are off and I will sit all day when I don't absolutly have to be out of the woods. I know deer can move at any time so I try to make it work. It is really hard for me to sit all day but I know it increases my chances tremendously.

Late season I hunt kinda like the earl part but if there is an approaching front I try to get into the woods cause I know they will be hitting food sources early.

Thanks
Andy

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:02 am

Every year a group of us hunt in NY for the early muzzleloader season. We get up before dawn get dressed and head out for the morning hunt just before dawn. We break for lunch back at camp and talk about where to hunt in the afternoon. One of the locals stopped in at lunch time and said that they like when we come in for lunch at 11, because we kick out the deer for the resident hunters still sitting in the woods since 9. Then he showed us the nice big doe in the bed of his truck. Then last year we were talking about what the local resident said and some of the guys didn't want to break with tradition, well my brother-in-law and I slept in one morning and headed out around 11 and while walking throught the woods at noon he shot a small buck. We loaded it up in the truck and went back to camp. When we got there all the guys were eating lunch and we joined them. After we ate they started talking about where we would like to hunt in the aftrenoon and we told them that Chris couldn't hunt anymore. They started giving him words of encouragement, to not give up, but Chris just said "I can't hunt anymore because I have tagged out and need to quarter up the deer in the back of the truck". I don't think that I have seen those guys move that quick EVER. After Chris took that deer at noon I am a firm believer in the mid day hunt and plan to keep doing them in the future, and alot of the feedback on this post seems to confirm this.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:51 am

The "hunt for 4 hours in the morning, walk in take a break and then hunt 4 hours in the afternoon" are my FAVORITE group of hunters! MUCH better than deer hounds,because they don't run the deer into the next area code, they just make 'em get up and move around a bit! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices