Decoying Deer

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Jslotter

RE: Decoying Deer

Postby Jslotter » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:05 am

ORIGINAL: logawhit01

I will be using a Rezno Photo decoy in PA and possibly NY.

I find great sucess with even these inexpensive decoys in areas with good buck to doe ratios!

Maybe someday I will save up and buy a big decoy but untill then I will use my Doe decoy from Rezno

Exactly what I was thinking. I want to use decoys next bow season, sounds like the results are awesome. I was wondering if anyone had luck with those cardboard cut out type decoys?
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Wolf River Hunter

Postby Wolf River Hunter » Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:59 am

One thing I noticed is that when does are close to it before they first notice it they don't like it. I had my decoy inside the woodline next to a field, I was trying to get the deer from the field to come over to my woods. Deer in the field could see it from a great distance and the does just avoided it but when does were working from the woodlot toward the field and encountered the decoy from behind at 20 yards they would stomp and blow. One doe stomped and blew at it, ran into the field and blew some more, came back to the decoy and stomped and blew at it and then went back to the bedding area and blew some more. Bucks didn't seem to be as concerned when they got surprised by it. I had a little 8 pointer get to under 20 yards before he first spotted it and he just immediatelty pinned his ears back and began to circle it. I started whistling before he charged it. My suggestion would be that the decoy be able to be seen from all directions you expect deer, especially does, so that approaching deer can see it well in advance giving does the chance to skirt it rather than investigate it.

Randy3003

Postby Randy3003 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:54 pm

When I go home to mich. I drag out my decoys and hunt the bottle necks.  Great shooting and fast action, however we have a lot of land and it has been under management practices now for many years.  Decoys really work well in the bottle necks, and it is here I find the best of the bucks as they are almost all bordering thickets to food plot situations.  Don't get home often enough anymore, I'll have to work on that!

loneranger

Postby loneranger » Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:49 am

As I have read, even in this current issue,,deer and deer hunting. Alot depends on how much human fear is in your deer. Alot of humans around,,much suspicious deer. Just my opinion.

DEERBOSS

Postby DEERBOSS » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:21 pm

USING A DECOY CAN BE A GREAT THING AND ALOT OF FUN! IT WILL ALSO HOLD THE DEERS ATTENTION AND ALLOW YOU TO GET AWAY WITH A LITTLE MORE MOVEMENT. IVE ONLY USED A DOE DECOY.

MY BEST DECOY STORY HAPPENED 2 YEARS AGO WITH MY DOE DECOY IN A HAYFIELD AND ME IN A LADDER STAND SETUP IN A GROUP A TREES ON THE EDGE OF A MARSH. IT WAS NOT EVEN 30 MINUTES AFTER FIRST LIGHT AND I CAUGHT MOVEMENT IN THE MARSH. IT WAS A YOUNG 8 POINT I WATCHED HIM WORK A SCRAPE AND KIND OF FORGOT ABOUT THE DECOY FOR A BIT. WELL WHEN I TURNED MY HEAD TO CHECK THE DECOY AND THERE WAS ANOTHER YOUNG 8 POINTER RIGHT AT MY DECOY. I WATCHED THE BUCK FLIP THE DECOY OVER AND RUN ABOUT 50 YARDS AWAY AND THEN STOP AND TURN AND LOOK AT THE DECOY AND THEN TO MY SURPRISE HE CAME BACK TO CHECK ON THE DECOY KICKING IT A COUPLE TIMES BEFORE FINALLY WALKING DOWN INTO THE MARSH TO LAY DOWN.

PROBABLY GOING TO BREAK HER OUT THIS NEXT WEEK I THINK. SEEMS LIKE THE BUCKS ARE STARTING TO CRUISE FOR DOES....

EatDeer

Postby EatDeer » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:36 am

Nice thread!!!

I use a "redi doe" decoy, looks like its in the estrus pose, ready to breed, it has worked great every year I've used. Try not to over use the decoy, usually it only works on a deer once.

Try using 2 golden estrus wafers attached to each leg, you know they work when the buck puts his nose betwwen the decoy's legs and dosnt spook!!

In fact this one 2 year old buck licked his lips for 10 minutes circleing the decoy, trying to fugure out why it didnt move....had to laugh about that!!

Remeber when the deer come in to investigate the decoy you will want the deer down wind from the doe decoy, to make sure they turn broad side when they go to smell the hocks from behind.

This way you can make the deer circle into position for a vital shot, they work great anytime of the season, and can be your secret weapon.

Good luck!
"Let a young buck go, so he can grow."

nuideas1

Postby nuideas1 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:12 am

I have used some but not a great deal due to the additional effort to get them in and out of hunting areas. Probably the best encounter I have had is actually using a doe decoy to distract the deer I want to harvest. I noticed a group of does coming out on a certain trail on a fairly regular basis and wanted to try and take one with my bow from the ground. I set up the decoy (a cheap fold up) on the opposite side of the trail from where I planned to stand. I had some waist high scrub and small pines to give me just a small amount of cover. Sure enough the does came out exactly as planned and looked right at that decoy giving me a perfect broadside shot. I love when it works like you plan it!

Previous

Return to Best Practices