The unwritten rule

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Marc Anthony

The unwritten rule

Postby Marc Anthony » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:17 pm

This happened today. What do you think? http://www.prairiestateoutdoors.com/ind ... itten_rule
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Woods Walker

RE: The unwritten rule

Postby Woods Walker » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Although what he did was perfectly legal, it was a prime example of poor sportsmanship and NO ethics. It's stuff like this that makes one want to stop hunting.

When I hunted waterfowl a lot years ago, we'd have the same crap happen quite frequently with someone else blasting away at the ducks we'd been working even though most of the time they were still WAAAY out of range for the blasters. On public land you could expect this, but this was on PRIVATE CLUBS!!!

I guess morons know no economic boundaries. [8|]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:59 pm

If he knew that a hunter was calling that Tom he was out of line shooting it like he did.  Maybe he had a picture of it on his trail cam and considered it HIS bird.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

woodsalta

Postby woodsalta » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:17 am

I think it was unsportsmanlike and unethical in my opinion. Yes, the hunter could hear you working the tom in, but like the rest of us hunting turkey, I would imagine that you were covered from head to toe with camo. How was this other hunter to know your exact location before pulling the trigger? One of the first rules is to know your target and what's beyond, and this hunter shot nearly 50 yeards away from you knowing that you were in close proximity to where he was. I know that in the future when I take my daughter into the field to hunt turkey, if I hear someone else calling I will tell her that this isn't the right place to be at that time and quietly back out of the area. This hunter took a great chance at being shot by accident in following the tom to your location, one thing that I'm not willing to do or risk my life for.
A man with a gun is a citizen, a man without a gun is a subject.

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:54 am

I'm just glad that account didn't end in someone being shot....similar thing happened to me last year at camp...but the person stayed on their property and happen to shoot the Tom before he got to me....they never had to call once...That's an Oh well situation...but I think for the guy to knowingly come in to a calling situation as this one did is reckless and unsportsmanlike...I've had guys pull up in their trucks and get out looking for me when I've been calling on our lands....you'd think I lit their fannies on fire when I call out are you trying to get arrested? Sad the lack of respect[&o] 

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:37 am

yes, at least no one was hurt.

On another note, if your calling sounded very authentic he could have taken your calls as a real turkey, especially if you had no decoys. perhaps he didnt know he was ruining someones hunt and it was an honest mistake. If he knew what he was doing then it is sickening. I don't understand how the bird let the guy walk up and shoot him...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:00 am

ORIGINAL: SwampLife

yes, at least no one was hurt.

On another note, if your calling sounded very authentic he could have taken your calls as a real turkey, especially if you had no decoys. perhaps he didnt know he was ruining someones hunt and it was an honest mistake. If he knew what he was doing then it is sickening. I don't understand how the bird let the guy walk up and shoot him...

We did have a decoy and it was out in the open. With the bird coming to us, the other guy simply got ahead of the bird, (which was between me and the Tom). He had ample time to figure where the calling was coming from and where the turkey was since the Tom was becoming very vocal. I knew what he was up to because I could hear him coming through the timber. He knew where I was which is why he never chose the path that he did. My spot would have been the path of least resistance for him but he went another way because of my presence.

Some people just don't have scruples and could care less.
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Bryan78

Postby Bryan78 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Too bad to hear what happen to you.  I have had it happen to me before and it was my best friend that did it.  Had a tom coming in silent and I went out to get my decoys and I heard a gobble come from the other side of a hill.  He saw me run for cover and also I had another hunter and his son coming my way as well.  Needless to say no one got that bird because all be damned was I going to get hosed by anyone.  We decided to sneak over the hill and catch him in the open but he was in the woods and darted off back across the river.

If you knew he was there and was going to do what he was going to do you should have just yelled to get the bird to get out of dodge and chewed his rear a new one for being disrespectful.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Some people have a hard time following the written rules, let alone, the unwritten ones. Not much fun to encounter them.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:44 pm

ORIGINAL: Marc Anthony
We did have a decoy and it was out in the open. With the bird coming to us, the other guy simply got ahead of the bird, (which was between me and the Tom). He had ample time to figure where the calling was coming from and where the turkey was since the Tom was becoming very vocal. I knew what he was up to because I could hear him coming through the timber. He knew where I was which is why he never chose the path that he did. My spot would have been the path of least resistance for him but he went another way because of my presence.

Some people just don't have scruples and could care less.

Ok then yea, he deserves a swift kick in the crotch.

Next

Return to Best Practices