The unwritten rule

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
bowboxer

RE: The unwritten rule

Postby bowboxer » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:25 am

same thing here.i have 500 arces of land that is in the family but we don't post it.we have had people throw nails in the road,bust windows out of our trucks,a friends car got burn,and they shot a friends dogs because they said it tried to bite them,but it was in the hollow.the wildlife officers just won't go in the mountains.i have pictures of people spot lighting and baiting turkey.they still won't do anything.maybe i should take care of it with a nock in the head,that is the only thing people understand.

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:26 pm

Are you kidding me? Aren't people capable of imitating the real thing. How many have you tolerated as they brag on themselves? There are way to many ifs here to make judgement. Your really only guessing his intent and nothing more. Maybe he did, and maybe he didn't intend to ruin your perfectly laid plans. Thats hunting! You as the experienced hunter knowing that he was closing in on your position should have adjusted accordingly. Better safe than sorry, just sayin.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

retiredsailor

Postby retiredsailor » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:37 am

I certainly agree with the others here that this fellow was not only conducting himself in a most unethical manner, but he was also creating a potentially dangerous situation.
I used to wonder why there seemed to be so many 'hunting accidents' during the Spring gobbler season, until I encountered a similar situation myself some years ago. Same scenario - guy knew I was trying to call the bird in and he positioned himself between us.
Realizing the frustration I felt and the fact that one of us could have gotten shot, I decided to just pack it up. However, I fired off several 16 gauge rounds in the air on my way out.......I hope that Tom lived to gobble again another day.
We can try to see that the law is enforced, but it's very difficult to enforce ethical behavior in the woods. Someone once said that ethics in the deer woods is simply how one conducts themselves when they think nobody is watching.

flaDAWG

Postby flaDAWG » Mon Jul 19, 2010 11:16 pm

Unethical yes...that guy is good'r than me,stalkin a turkey that's harder than stalkin a deer....2 me...
Hope U all R dew'n finer than frawg hair!...Bsafe!

Previous

Return to Best Practices