Cell phone GPS?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
nateberly

Cell phone GPS?

Postby nateberly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:24 am

I am ready to get a new cell phone, and was wondering if anyone had any info on the GPS features on most new cell phones. I don't need navigation software or anything, just wondering if I can see the coordinates that I am at on my cell. I want to be able to find property corners, and fishing spots. I can get the coordinates from online sources, and then hopefully be able to use my phone to find the spots. Does anyone know if this actually works, or if it is even possible without a special program or subscription? I have googled and tried to find more info, but haven't been able to find anything.
I really can't justify spending 200 or more dollars on a decent gps right now. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Nathan

Woods Walker

RE: Cell phone GPS?

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:51 am

Get a compass and and a map. Much cheaper, works just as well, and you don't have to worry about electronics/batteries failing.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:12 am

Thanks WW. . . yes I can walk a line with a compass, and we may end up doing that if we don't get up to the cabin before too much tree cover develops, but trying to triangulate fishing spots with a compass could prove difficult, especially for night fishing. I'm just wondering if anyone has any experience with this.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:25 am

I have the BB Cure with Sprint (work phone) and as far as I've been able to determine, it does not show lat/long without having to copy the location and pasting into favorites or another application.

metrx

Postby metrx » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:32 am

I'm not totally familiar, but my niece just got the new IPhone with Sprint.  She was over for Easter and demo-ing its many features for me.  This thing is unreal.  It has over 15,000 applications.  (She thought it was the coolest thing that you could pick up police radio signals all over the surrounding counties...like a scanner).  Anyway, she showed me the GPS.  It had waypoints, routes, the MOB feature and you were able to put in your current location, save it and get routes back to it from anywhere you went.  I'm not sure if it had lat/long but it looked as good as my GPS. 
Downside...she paid about $500 for it, new.  

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:39 am

Compass and a map, $20.00 tops, no batteries, and the technology will never be "obsolete".

Why make something so simple as finding your way so complicated and expensive??? We're WOODSMEN for heaven's sake! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:02 pm

Beam me up Scotty!!

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

Jon H.

Postby Jon H. » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:14 pm

I don't know anything about those fancy phones. But I do know I don't have a signal in the woods with my phone. I like to use a compass, topo map, and a plain GPS with google earth. And I get around just fine even at night. If I were you I would barrow a friends phone to see if it works were you hunt. If you use topo maps and a GPS, I find it easier to use the UTM grid. On the map and on the GPS. Let us know how it turns out. Good luck!

nateberly

Postby nateberly » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:47 pm

I am not talking about the "fancy" phones just the cheapER ones available right now. If I were to get a smartphone, like an iPhone, I wouldn't have any trouble getting apps with GPS to work fine, but then I would have to get a data plan, which is another 20 buck a month or so. It sounds like I am not going to have much luck with the regular phones.

Woodsy, just because I am curious if the phone has the feature, doesn't mean I am dependent upon it. Yes I am a woodsman, and can find my way around with a compass just fine. I am not spending extra money for it, but if it is there, great. As I said earlier, I am not buying a GPS as of right now, just curious if anyone else has used this feature. It would probably be used for fishing more than scouting, where a compass isn't quite as easy to use.

Thanks for the help so far, people.

Hardwood

Postby Hardwood » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:01 am

I just picked up a Bushnell Onix 350 color GPS and this thing is great!  You can download satellite views and topo maps onto it from the Bushnell web site and it will actually show where you are at on either of the maps.  There is a lot of grumbling on some of the review sites about it, but if you follow the directions on the Bushnell web site and checkout some of the Utube stuff it is fine ... a little computer savy doesn't hurt either.  The best thing is that they are being discontinued so you can get a $400 unit for under $100.  OK mabe not a good thing they are being discontinued but it sure makes it an attractive price.  I have a Lowrance and Magellan but this thing sure is a lot nicer with the color screen, only wish it used AA batteries instead of the Lithum - got a spare but need to remember to keep em charged.

Next

Return to Best Practices