Cell phone GPS?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
rllarson

RE: Cell phone GPS?

Postby rllarson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:33 am

I dont know anything about the Cell phones but the GPS map combo is nice to use. here is benifits and drawbacks of both

GPS drawbacks needs batteries, is expensive, needs at least 3 satallite signals to triangalate. they can be lost easy. need to know how to work them. can break.

map and compas. need to laminate the maps, need to know how to read the map and compas, be able to walk in a straight line and know how far you have traveled (pace count). compas may break,maps rip, water damage.

the best bet is use all three. map compas and GPS, you always need a map to see what in your area ie: steep dropoffs, rivers. compas to know what direction to orient the map. and the GPS is a nice double check to see your location. or quickly check your distance of travel.
always protect your map, it is your best resource if you are lost you could do without the GPS and compass in an emergancy, as long as you have a few woodsmans skills like finding the North star knowing the sun comes up in the east.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:53 am

Woodswalker hates batteries. You can still be a "woodsman" and use a GPS nateberly.  You can also use a crossbow and be a woodsman.  You can also hunt out of a treestand and be a woodsman.  You can also carry a cellphone and be a woodsman.  You don't have to wear a gillie suit to be a woodsman.  You can also enjoy seeing pictures on a trail camera and be a woodsman.  There, I said it.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:03 pm

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

Woodswalker hates batteries. You can still be a "woodsman" and use a GPS nateberly.  You can also use a crossbow and be a woodsman.  You can also hunt out of a treestand and be a woodsman.  You can also carry a cellphone and be a woodsman.  You don't have to wear a gillie suit to be a woodsman.  You can also enjoy seeing pictures on a trail camera and be a woodsman.  There, I said it.

LOL! Well you're sight about the batteries! And in that same vein, I'd NEVER trust my life to anything that required them.

But how did you get the idea that I'm against treestands? Or crossbows? Quite the opposite. Treestands are a great, effective way to hunt deer. I've shot a pile of them from treestands. And the same with crossbows. I don't use one, but I have no problem with them being used during archery season for anyone. I also said that I really don't care whether trail cams are legal or not, as I don't use them, as I don't understand the attraction of them. IMO, you may as well look at photos in a magazine that someone else took, or watch TV. If I want to see wildlife, I'll go into the woods and look for it. And I certainly don't need one to tell me what's in my woods!

OOOPS! I said it! [;)]
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Goose

Postby Goose » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:02 pm

Please watch the personal attack. Thanks!
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:05 am

Sorry Woodswalker, Goose and anyone else that read my post. I really do respect WW's opinions and experience. I exagerated my points to tug on his shirt a little bit and got carried away. I now feel bad and apologize to all. 

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:12 am

It was never an issue from my end. I offer up a lot of stuff that's from way out in left field sometimes to generate discussion. I figure if you're going to stir the pot you'd better have a bit thicker hide! [;)]

But I would like to know...how'd you get the idea I was down on crossbows???
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:58 am

ORIGINAL: Ohio farms

You don't have to wear a gillie suit to be a woodsman. 

Really? [:D]
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:07 am

I guess that I assumed that on the crossbow. I will fall on the sword on that one too.  It was not my intent to be mean spirited. I'm glad that you are not too offended by my words. I should have thought them through better.
I see that Marc Anthony is upset with me too.  Again, my comments were a poor effort to pull WW's chain a bit. I forgot that Marc is a gillie suit guy too. Sorry to you too. ( I'll be quiet for a while, I think)   

Marc Anthony

Postby Marc Anthony » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:17 am

Ohio Farms, I'm not upset in the least! Really! I took it all in good fun. I didn't find your original post offensive. Don't think twice about it.

I was just having some fun back in response with my last comment. Cheer up!
"A fool learns from his own mistake but a wiseman learns from a fool's mistake "

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:11 am

Ok, I feel better.  My wife tells me I'm too sensitive sometimes.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices