Carbon Clothes. Yes or No? Not yet or Never?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
buckhunter21

RE: Carbon Clothes. Yes or No? Not yet or Never?

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:52 am

This will be coming up on my third year with ScentBlocker technology.  I have the Dream Season apparrel and I have to say that I've noticed a difference.  I don't hunt any differently...I still play the wind, etc, but those chance encounters when a deer approaches downwind I just a more positive reaction now.  Do I think they're worth the price-tag?  Not really.  Basically just another tool to use I think.  It's definately not something you NEED as long as you keep all your clothes scent-free, spray down, play the wind, etc. 
QDM!

bowman12

Postby bowman12 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:53 am

I bought a suit a few years ago and when used properly with some scent eliminating spray I truly believe it helps. I play the wind very carefully when deer hunting and haven't had a real test situation.
Bear hunting has been a different story. They come in from any direction they feel and I feel it's helped with bears not smelling as much human when they're downwind, enough that they'll still come in to the bait.

SwampLife

Postby SwampLife » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:16 am

Man, thanks for all the replies guys.

I started this past year to really play the wind with my choice of stand location. It made a huge difference. I used to always throw caution to the wind and hope for the best to get lucky. I had more encounters with deer this year than any past year by a long, long shot. I know this wasn't just because there were more deer around because none of my hunting buddies had a good year at all (most of them don't practice much scent control, if any).

I did notice that the only 2 deer that got downwind of me about jumped out of there skin. Those were the only 2 deer to approach from downwind at all. I don't believe it is a coincidence that 99% of the deer i saw came from up/crosswind. I am sure other deer were approaching from downwind and caught my scent with out me ever knowing.

I bought scentlok gloves, couple face masks and a hat a few years ago. I think this year I will buy a couple pairs of socks and base layers. Maybe.

But what I will do for sure is pay much more attention to keeping my clothes totally scent free, showering each time before heading into the woods, spraying down more often and 'field dressing' this year. Then I will keep track of my downwind experiences this fall.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:40 am

If it aint broke, don't fix it. I don't use a carbon suit and I can't complain about my success rate. A little common sense goes a long ways IMO.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

badtoys

Postby badtoys » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:58 am

yes it does

ORIGINAL: Sam Menard

If it aint broke, don't fix it. I don't use a carbon suit and I can't complain about my success rate. A little common sense goes a long ways IMO.

Sam

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:05 am

This is a technology that just is not necessary, at least not for me. I started out hunting without an understanding of scent and quite frankly I stunk.  Then I read an article in D&DH-- way back.  It suggested baking soda.  I tried it.  It worked.  I stopped getting busted.

Here it is 20 years later.  I go out to my stands and have deer walking by, and walking underneath me all the time.  Yes, once in a while I get busted, but it's usually when I'm up moving around.  Scent-wise I'm pretty invisible.  Meanwhile, I see these expensive carbon suits and spray products and I got to scratch my head.  For me, they're trying to fix something that ain't broke.

I also think this thing about scent is somewhat overblown.  Yes, I will admit that I used to be over-the-top fastidious about things, but last year I was one of the ones that tested the pee-off-the-stand idea hatched on this forum.  Not only did I see 4 nice shooter bucks, but in one instance I think the sound of the pee falling on leaves actually brought in a doe and two fawns.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:18 am

When I first heard of the Scent-loc idea it interested me until I heard the slogan about don't worry about the wind. After seeing the price I lost all interest. They are just trying to see a new product. Don't P on my head and tell me it's raining.
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

Proline

Postby Proline » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:14 am

Woods Walker nailed it.  I believe it is a crock.  I don't own any and won't.  I shoot plenty of deer without it by using my head and playing the wind.  Also, despite what some think...there is no way a household dryer could ever get hot enough to reactivate the carbon.  On top of that, the last place I would ever put my hunting clothes is in a dryer!  Think of all the scent that goes in there with scented soaps, dryer sheets, bleached whites, kids that leave gum in there pockets etc. Mine are washed scent free, line dried and hung outside in an open air shed all season long.

Sam Menard

Postby Sam Menard » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:43 am

Carbon suits are just like any other product. Someone had an idea and started marketing it. With a bit of showmanship, you can sell anything e.g. Slapchop, Shamwow, McDonalds, etc. Convince the market that they need the product and they will buy it.

Take 2 hunters hunting in treestands along a field edge about 75 yards apart. One wears a carbon suit while the other wears clean and unscented clothing. A deer walks out and cuts across 50 yards downwind of both hunters. The deer doesn't notice both hunters and starts feeding. The hunter wearing the carbon suit concludes that his suit works. The other hunter concludes that he doesn't need a suit. By the way, this is a true story.

Sam
"The true hunter counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and the fairness of the sport."

Dr. Saxton Pope

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:14 pm

On top of that, the last place I would ever put my hunting clothes is in a dryer! Think of all the scent that goes in there with scented soaps, dryer sheets, bleached whites, kids that leave gum in there pockets etc.

I hear you on that, but what I do with the dryer and washer (only put my carbon in the dryer) is wash a few regular clothes loads with my hunting clothes wash first, then wash my hunting clothes.  This way it gets most of those smells out.
QDM!

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices