Public land hunter surounding private land??

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
SwampLife

RE: Public land hunter surounding private land??

Postby SwampLife » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:29 pm

i hunt public land where it meets private land. i always hunt within 100 of the fence and one of my stands i used to look straight down behind me at the fence, like if i fell backwards out of my stand i would probably land on the private property. i dont like being that close but it is literally the only tree i can get in in that area. way i see it, i pay to be able to hunt any and all of the WMA that i choose, and i will pick the spot that i have the best chance to kill a nice buck.

Keep in mind the private property is not posted as no trespassing and there is no hunting on the property, so im not buggering anyone. otherwise i would be nervous to get within 100yds of the line.

Actually i have run into the very opposite problem as well. other public land i hunt has very short, limited entry hunting seasons. but the hunters from the bordering properties hop the fence and have the place to themselves when it is not a weekend of a hunt. ive seen them do it when i was scouting, and have seen drag marks/boot prints/blood.

someone crossing a boundary that is posted, and actually stealing just sucks. Im sorry to hear that. I get stands stolen all the time but i expect it on public land down here. I have had them cut locks, partially disassemble stands and leave the lock and cable around the tree, hell i have even had them cut the tree off with a chainsaw just above the cable and slide it up and off the tree. But if it was off property that i owned, i would be heated.

I would notify a game warden, a couple run ins with the law straightens up most shady hunters, or at least makes them look for a different area to hunt.

gl with your issue
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.

berudd

Postby berudd » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:27 pm

ORIGINAL: jsjandro

they must have my permission to retrieve what they shoot and if they dont take the time to talk to me before season i show em NO sympathy.

I agree they must have your permission to retrieve game but I can't say that I agree that they need to have cleared all of that with you before they actually hunt. As SwampLife said, tax payers are supporting public land and do have the right to hunt all of that land not just the portions out side of the neighbor's self defined 'terratorial waters' so to speak. How far away would these guys need to be from your land before you no longer expected them to get the OK from you to hunt public land that borders your property? I know it was likely not your intention to say that but it is the implication. If they don't clear it with you first you won't let them retrive game that crosses your boundary. So a guy is sitting 300 yards from your land, that's over and 1/8 of a mile, and shoots a deer that runs 310 yards before dieing on your land. Now, I completely agree that he needs to come see you before he crosses your boundary but will you really tell him no if he has not asked you about it ahead of time. I don't think that is a reasonable expectation. If the law allows them to hunt that close to your land, even if you don't like it, someone should be allowed to retrieve legally harvested game.

Anyway, not busting your chops just something to think about.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:51 pm

I am a landowner and really do not have major problems with trespassers, but at times I do.  My neighbors all know that they may come onto my land to retrieve a deer and they allow the same for me. We all try not to hunt too close to borders so we don't interfere with each other. I'm glad that there is not public land bordering my property.  If somone that I do not know is on my land trying to retrieve his/her deer...well, go ahead. I would never deny someone their legally taken deer. 
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

MSHunter

Postby MSHunter » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:15 pm

I hunt public land exclusively. I have two spots I hunt with some regularity that I setup within 3 or 4 feet of the public land/private land property line, on the public land side. The area on the private land side is a pasture. By setting up near the property line, I have a better view of the public land. I don't cross over on the private land side. Furthermore, I've never seen anyone out in the pasture when I've been hunting. 

bowhuntr15

Postby bowhuntr15 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:15 pm

I hunt public land as well.  WE hunt an island that is approx. 20% privately owned.  DNR and Core have not done the best job possible to place border property signs.  I wished the owners would take some time to mark their own property.  However, I see a lot of hunters doing their best to respect the property.  some of the "tresspassers" that I have seen have been unintentional.  We let them know they were where they were not supposed to be and they stay away in later hunts.  I'd hate to have property I own being trespassed by hunters (or otherwise) with no courtesy or respect!
"Perseverance, Practice, Integrity"

Previous

Return to Best Practices