Tracking question

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
mightyfofaad

RE: Tracking question

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:43 am

ORIGINAL: bwhntr

Many Shades of Red

The blood color of a heart-shot deer (when lungs are spared) is similar to those with muscle wounds. The blood appears crimson, but not as bright as the blood of a muscle wound.

Excuse me, but actual heart shot deer do not require tracking.

paulie

Postby paulie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:55 am

ORIGINAL: mightyfofaad

Many Shades of Red

The blood color of a heart-shot deer (when lungs are spared) is similar to those with muscle wounds. The blood appears crimson, but not as bright as the blood of a muscle wound.

I beg to differ! I "heartshot" a (fairly large) doe two years back at a distance of no more than thirty five yards, with a 12 gauge slug. She traveled damn near a hundred yards before she piled up! When I field dressed her, her heart was nothing more than a pool of jelly. I was quite suprised that she went that far! I guess it just goes to show... there are no absolutes in how a wounded (mortally or not) animal will react after the shot.

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:03 pm

ORIGINAL: paulie

Many Shades of Red

I beg to differ! I "heartshot" a (fairly large) doe two years back at a distance of no more than thirty five yards, with a 12 gauge slug. She traveled damn near a hundred yards before she piled up! When I field dressed her, her heart was nothing more than a pool of jelly. I was quite suprised that she went that far! I guess it just goes to show... there are no absolutes in how a wounded (mortally or not) animal will react after the shot.

Well that doe must have been from the planet Krypton.
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

paulie

Postby paulie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:31 pm

ORIGINAL: Challenger

[quote]ORIGINAL: bwhntr

Many Shades of Red

Well that doe must have been from the planet Krypton.
[/quote]

Then apparently, so was the seven point I shot the year before!!! Or "maybe" the laws of physics dont apply to the part of the universe I hunt in[8|]!!

paulie

Postby paulie » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:35 pm

And NO.. I'm not an "authority" on whitetail anatomy or biology!! I'm simply stating "MY" experience!

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:16 pm

Many Shades of Red

I think you misunderstood me, or perhaps I was too cryptic. I didn't say a deer that was heart shot couldn't move at all. I simply meant a deer, elk, baboon, lion, gorilla or human could possibly sustain a direct shot to the heart & go any distance that would require tracking.

The laws of physics do apply to all mammals equally. Based on my own experience & that of others & several videos I've seen, heart (and other good chest shots) tend to drop the animal where they stand.

However, we all know there are exceptions to every rule. If you tell me you put a 12 gauge slug thru a doe & a 7pt buck's heart & they were able to run for 1/4 mile ... I believe you.

You might find this video of a deer shot at a distance of 950 yards (over 1/2 mile) interesting. Best wishes for continued good hunting.

950 yard deer kill

fatbob240

Postby fatbob240 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:01 am

Cut N Run, I didn't take your comment wrong at all, but I have taken SEVERAL deer with the 30-30 and this is the first I've ever lost. After many days of searching and not finding anything, I did run into another hunter in the area that did take the deer I had shot. Apparently it was hit in the leg and low in the chest but it wasn't a mortal wound. After talking to that hunter, I did go back to the area that I had originally shot the deer and found a thumb sized branch with a nick taken out of it. The shot hit the branch and deflected low. That is still my fault for not noticing it. I take the blame 100% and I threw out the tag for that deer (my punishment to myself). Two weeks later in the same area, I took a large doe with the same 30-30 at just under 100 yards and she only went thirty yards at best. Sure there may be some guns out there with more knock down power but accuracy and a well placed bullet or broadhead are the key.
Goal: 1 shot= 1 kill

paulie

Postby paulie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:06 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: bwhntr

Many Shades of Red

I think you misunderstood me, or perhaps I was too cryptic. I didn't say a deer that was heart shot couldn't move at all. I simply meant a deer, elk, baboon, lion, gorilla or human could possibly sustain a direct shot to the heart & go any distance that would require tracking.

The laws of physics do apply to all mammals equally. Based on my own experience & that of others & several videos I've seen, heart (and other good chest shots) tend to drop the animal where they stand.

However, we all know there are exceptions to every rule. If you tell me you put a 12 gauge slug thru a doe & a 7pt buck's heart & they were able to run for 1/4 mile ... I believe you.

You might find this video of a deer shot at a distance of 950 yards (over 1/2 mile) interesting. Best wishes for continued good hunting.

950 yard deer kill
[/quote]

Apparently I did misundersatnd your original comment (for that, I appoligize). The "laws of physics" bit was in response to the "deer from krypton" comment. Thanks for the 'well wishes' and, good luck to you this season (well, whats left of it anyway).

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:17 am

paulie: Apparently I did misundersatnd your original comment (for that, I appoligize). The "laws of physics" bit was in response to the "deer from krypton" comment. Thanks for the 'well wishes' and, good luck to you this season (well, whats left of it anyway).

Sometimes when we read something we don't get the true sense of what the writer's feelings were. Someone can make a joke & because you don't hear the inflection of their voice or see the smile on their face ... if we're in the wrong mood, we may tend to think "what the heck did he mean by that?"

Of course the opposite is true as well. Steve Allen used to do a hilarious routine where he would read letters to the editor the way the person who penned the letter might have been at the time of of composition. You know, yelling & banging on the table etc. Whereas, we tend to read the letter in a very bland unemotional mood.

I laughed when I read Challenger's reference to the planet Krypton as meaning "that was one tough deer."

BTW: This is one more short video I think you will find entertaining as well as informative.
Two For One

mightyfofaad

Postby mightyfofaad » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:54 am

ORIGINAL: fatbob240

Cut N Run, I didn't take your comment wrong at all, but I have taken SEVERAL deer with the 30-30 and this is the first I've ever lost. After many days of searching and not finding anything, I did run into another hunter in the area that did take the deer I had shot. Apparently it was hit in the leg and low in the chest but it wasn't a mortal wound. After talking to that hunter, I did go back to the area that I had originally shot the deer and found a thumb sized branch with a nick taken out of it. The shot hit the branch and deflected low. That is still my fault for not noticing it. I take the blame 100% and I threw out the tag for that deer (my punishment to myself). Two weeks later in the same area, I took a large doe with the same 30-30 at just under 100 yards and she only went thirty yards at best. Sure there may be some guns out there with more knock down power but accuracy and a well placed bullet or broadhead are the key.

I had a very similar incident. Altho I didn't lose the deer, the hunt left a very bad taste in my mouth.

On my way to my spot I flushed a bedded spike about 100' out. To tell the truth, I didn't even want to waste my tag on this animal ... but I guess seeing him jump up so close & start running pumped in the adrenalin & I instinctively took a shot.

The round was deflected by a small branch & the bullet nearly tore off his left rear leg at the knee. It was so heavily wooded with much brush I didn't want to repeat that with my second shot. The deer was bounding forward as best he could & I was running as fast as I could to get a clean shot.

The second shot from about 30' put him right down. I actually saw the limb falling from the tree right after the 1st shot. That was one of the reasons I no longer use a scope in deep wood. On a quick shot, a scope can make a branch or limb (that's close to you) practically invisible.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices