Lots of questions on location...

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
botenann

Lots of questions on location...

Postby botenann » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:41 pm

I've been hunting for about 6 years now (I'm 21) and I was wondering if anyone had any tips on the best place to set up for rifle season to increase my chances of at least seeing SOMETHING (even a doe)... The first day of Rifle is coming in here Saturday and I know I should have been out scouting way earlier in the season but I can't ever seem to find any signs of deer on the two properties I hunt. I've seen deer though... The first property is a lot of open fields, and very little wooded areas that are directly beside dirt roads. I'm not sure if being by the dirt road that cars sometime travel would hurt my chances of seeing anything or not... There is also a huge dense pine area that is really to thick to even go into, but there is a clearing directly beside the pines  (away from roads etc) and I've thought about setting up there but some trapping was done so I'm not sure if that would affect anything either....

The other property again is a lot of fields, very little wooded areas and they're being hunted by my older siblings...

I'm at a loss really, i'm not looking for a trophy just some meat in the freezer really. If anyone has any tips or can make sense of any of the information I posted above I would greatly appreciate it!

botenann

RE: Lots of questions on location...

Postby botenann » Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:57 pm

I guess I should also add that this is mostly farmland (no crops in a few years, just livestock), I took an image from google satellite maps although I'm not sure how much it will help, if any at all... roads are to the west and south of the property.. (justoutside border of picture)

Swandog09

Postby Swandog09 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:32 am

Botenann,

What state are you hunting in?  Yes, your correct the earlier you get and scout the more success you will have.

I would immediately try and get out to your land and look for travel ways (deer paths) and to get an idea of where the deer are going and coming and how they use the land.  

It is hard to say by the picture, but I personally would set up in or near the south section of the woods (area at the bottom of the picture).  To me it looks to be a little ticker (better cover) area.  Again try to get out before the season and do a little (low impact as possible) scouting.

Good Luck. 
That's why they call it hunting and not getting

rem700

Postby rem700 » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:03 am

i see you will be using a gun. what is the scale of the pic. deer need water midday. you have two tick cover (looking at the pic north and south.) the hay bails my be a good place to sit. (is there more water around) if there is not a lot of water around use that. but i do not know the range or the scale is in the pic.       
Robert

botenann

Postby botenann » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:14 pm

I'm in Virginia.
There are two ponds on the property, and water streams north (outside property) and a river not far north west...

The woods to the south are only about 100 yards deep north/south... and (about 400 yards wide east/west). It's just so late in the game I'm not sure what would be my best bet, but either way I will enjoy myself... as shown in the new pic roads are to the west, and right at the woods to the south... and the woods aren't very big... How are deer about pine/cedar?I was thinking of trying north there is a nice lane between the properties that looks like a decent spot but I have no clue...

The other property has a river to the north, a corn crop that as just harvested.. and there will be siblings there hunting... here's a picture of the property.. everything in the picture i'm allowed to hunt, the roads in the center are private roads not public.

Thanks for any ideas at all, I know next year I will be out there much earlier and hopefully have a better idea of where I will be going!

botenann

Postby botenann » Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:46 pm

I double checked my rifle(s) at the range today, and both are fine. (7MM Mag, 30-30)... Saturday is approaching fast so if anyone has any last minute ideas for me, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

USN_Sam1385

Postby USN_Sam1385 » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:47 am

ORIGINAL: botenann

I double checked my rifle(s) at the range today, and both are fine. (7MM Mag, 30-30)... Saturday is approaching fast so if anyone has any last minute ideas for me, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

I would set up a stand overlooking the small pond in the top of the picture. The Cedar Trees offer GREAT cover, and they would have immediate access to that pond there. I would face East/Southeast in the stand.That will allow you to see anything that crosses that huge field, as well as the pond, and anything that retreats from woods that are East. With it being opening day, and the rut going on, they will move everywhere. AND they will want to retreat to the Cedar trees because they offer such good cover, when the guns start popping off. The fact that there are a bunch of trees to the east, I am sure there will be hunters coming into there and driving the deer toward you. That is EXACTLY where I would be. Let me know how it goes bud.

Red= Area I would set up stand, facing EAST/Southeast.
Purple= Area I think they will be retreating from, heading WEST toward the Cedars.

botenann

Postby botenann » Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:51 pm

Thanks for the suggestion! I went to set up a stand there but noticed the field has a decent hill where you cannot see the trees so I decided to set it up at the nothern most part of the property behind the cedar trees (in the littlealley)facing east... I noticed some deer hair on the fence, and fresh tracks so lets hope something comes by in the morning... I'll let you guys know how it goes, thanks!

botenann

Postby botenann » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:10 pm

I just wanted to give everyone an update, the first day I sat up north of the cedars in the morning in the 1st pic and didn't see anything. I pulled out around lunch to help my dad and brother at the other property find their deer (my brother shot a spike, and my dad shot a nice 10 point). I sat up where this dot is on the picture included and saw a few doe who walked right underneath me, but decided to pass on them since they were a bit small. I went back out monday morning in the same spot and shot a nice 120lb doe at about 7:30! they came from the south and I shot her from about 60 yards away. I will be hunting there for the rest of the season, since for some reason every time I go over I see tons of deer, and even the 10 point buck my dad shot came from the corner south of my stand. Thanks for all the suggestions again, will update when I get more  Image

Jslotter

Postby Jslotter » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:49 am

Congrats on the hunt. I looked at your aerial pics and looks like you have some of the best things that deer love. Cover, water, food. The last aerial pic above, you brother has a good location right in that bottle neck that has a cut corn field on one side and an open field on the other. My experience hunting in an area similar to that deer like to bed right in that bottleneck or use it as funnel to travel without being exposed in the open, and they like to stay close to the food source. Set some days aside a few months before the next season to scout the areas and find out what the deer are up to. You do that and I can almost guarantee you next season will be more exciting.
I only hunt on days that end in ' Y '.

Next

Return to Best Practices