BuckSpy Computer Software

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
bwhntr2

BuckSpy Computer Software

Postby bwhntr2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:49 am

I recently downloaded their demo mode. It stores all types of information. I'm not sure if I am going to purchase it yet or not. Does anyone use this software? If so, what do you like and dislike about it?

scotman

RE: BuckSpy Computer Software

Postby scotman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:07 am

It has been a couple years since I used it so they might have new features. But when I purchased it they did not have a way to import your waypoints you setup on your gps, you had to hand import each and every one of them then match up your pictures to those waypoints. So I was using topofusion for that. 

So say you take your gps out with you and find a good deer trail or two. Set the waypoint of it and take a picture with your digital camera set at 0 pictures. You can upload the pictures and your gps data to topofusion and the pics will line up with the date and time you took the picture. Pretty neat feature. Topofusion was primarily used for bikers to map out bike trails, I simply used it to map my hunting area and trails.

If you want to just use Buckspy for journal and photo entry then you should be good to go.

http://www.topofusion.com/
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

bwhntr

Postby bwhntr » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:04 pm

I was looking for something to help me pattern deer movements. From what I have noticed by using the demo is, you can upload pictures(from any camera), observations, etc. which shows up on a calender for the days entered, along with moon phase data. You can also now download maps and weather from their website, but you have to have one of the upper programs and not just the basic program. From what I gather, and I am not a computer guru, by no means, it seems the program is web based. I will keep using my Excel program,entering photo data and observations, with charts, to map the deer movements in my hunting areas. Some may like the program, I can do without it. There are several websites with which to gather sun, moon, weather, and all other information that one may use to try and predict deer movement. As always, deer are on no magical time table. It takes a lot of hard work to keep up with their movements. But, keeping good records will help. I just will not be using the above mentioned. Like I stated above, some may like the program, it is just not for me. I am kind of old schooled.

scotman

Postby scotman » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:48 pm

I just logged into my buckspy account and a ticket I posted back in 2008 is still is not answered.  Come to remember the program was very buggy I ran into 2 errors after using it for a few months. So I quit using it. It had to deal with the maps it uses. 
"The deerskin rug on our study floor, the buck's head over the fireplace, what are these after all but the keys which have unlocked enchanted doors, and granted us not only health and vigor, but a fresh and fairer vision of existence" -Paul. Brandreth

scotman

Postby scotman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:12 pm

I think you have to pay close attention to any user agreements you accept and agree to when using web based products and programs. Can the data be used on the companies end for their own purpose? I have always kept my close encounters of nice bucks to myself and don't even tell close friends. 

Return to Best Practices