Ethics Question

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
chucksniper

RE: Ethics Question

Postby chucksniper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:36 am

Get yourself a GPS, go to Google Earth,

get a general idea????

of where property boundaries are, then stay away from them.
But if as you say, you've got 45 acres to hunt,

why are you so adamant about your right to trespass on non-posted property. ???? It's hot spot. that's why.

So if private property, that isn't posted, is in the middle of land that isn't owned, what general idea of where I'm at, should I be at?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:07 am

ORIGINAL: chucksniper

Get yourself a GPS, go to Google Earth,

get a general idea????

of where property boundaries are, then stay away from them.

So if private property, that isn't posted, is in the middle of land that isn't owned, what general idea of where I'm at, should I be at?

First of all I think we've already established that land is owned by some entity, either person or government.

But let's say you're hunting state land, although you've already said that with your 45 acres you don't need to do this, but let's say that's what you're doing.  And in the middle of all this state land is some private property, and you want to know how to get a general idea of where it is so you don't trespass.

Here's what you do, identify the property on plat maps (it will be there), go to Google Earth, get GPS coordinates or the general boundary area and stay away. 

It's not hard to take a plat map, and using roads and other visable indicators, get a pretty good determination of where a property lies on Google Earth or some other mapping service.

If you don't have a GPS, it still shouldn't be a problem.  Landmarks, topo maps, aerial maps, etc. are available that should easily keep you from trespassing if that is truly your goal.  And since you do have internet access, those are all available to you.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

chucksniper

Postby chucksniper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:03 am

I only see google maps show cleared land with a house.... And the rest in between is woods. What else can be used with survey markings? Say google maps with survey markings?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:01 am

Google Earth will not lay out property boundaries - it would be up to you to compare property boundaries you find on a plat map and figure out where they'd be using Google Earth.  You can then get close to the property on Google Earth and pull the GPS coordinates.

i.e. the eastern border of our property is around 40 degrees 32' 41.76" N and 93 degrees 47' 02.18" W.  And no I'm not real concerned about letting people know where we're located.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

chucksniper

Postby chucksniper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:46 am

is there a site with plate maps?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:53 am

Probably not.  Each county has their own.  Some are online, but most aren't.  You should be able to get a copy of a plat map at your county register of deeds or Farm Service Agency.  Or at least ask them to provide you with a copy of the plats in the area you want to hunt.

Or, if you're hunting state land, can you get a map of the area from your local DNR or whoever controls the area.  Those maps should also show where state land ends and private lands begin.
Aldo Leopold

rem700

Postby rem700 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:53 am

here in fl you can go to the tax office online and get plot map and google earth phontos that show property lines
Robert

chucksniper

Postby chucksniper » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:02 am

DNR?

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:19 am

Department of Natural Resources.
Aldo Leopold

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:21 am

ORIGINAL: rem700

here in fl you can go to the tax office online and get plot map and google earth phontos that show property lines

We've got that in our county here in Kansas, but it seems to be a county by county thing.  Is all of Florida done that way.
Aldo Leopold

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices