Puzzled

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
boxcallkid

RE: Puzzled

Postby boxcallkid » Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:44 pm

Just deer morphing into there post rut, high pressure,winter cover, survival stage. If you scout your hunting haunts year round, year after year, these patterns will reveal themselves to you.
A interesting observation for comparison; For years I scouted my deer woods that consisted of a four square mile area. Within these confines there were very prominent deer runs (That I term the ancients) that rarely had a track one in them! How can this be I thought? After monitering them for several seasons there significance was revealed. These trails were being used heavily during the pre rut and rut phase only. After firmly grasping the big picture concept, I could tell these trails were corresponding to the varying wind directions and the bucks using them for cross wind scent checking, shortest and most advantagous routes between doe bedding areas and quickest route crossing opposite running runways ( I believe for scent checking purposes again)
These variations in the overall changes that the deer make throughout a season is where the term patterning truely comes from.
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

bwhntr2

Postby bwhntr2 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:29 am

This is my first year to hunt this area. In the next couple of weeks, I will begin on foot scouting with map and GPS in hand. I am going to map everything that I can in the next month or so, trails, scrapes, rubs, deer sightings, etc.. Trail cameras are also out. Time to really get down to business with it.

boxcallkid

Postby boxcallkid » Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:52 pm

You might also want to try this; Go to the website mytopo.com and after you enter the area your hunting click create map. You'll see there are lots of different options available to you and you don't have to actually order a map, but you can at least look. so you don't have to tresspass and still get a great look at the big picture. Good luck!
Like gramps used to say, "Why is it there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over?"

bwhntr2

Postby bwhntr2 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:51 am

I also use Google Earth. It has lots of good uses.

Previous

Return to Best Practices