Where do you get your weather forecast from?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
OHhunter

Where do you get your weather forecast from?

Postby OHhunter » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:01 pm

What weather sites offer the most accurate, and updated weather forcast?
Brad

HUNT HARD, SHOOT STRAIGHT, CLEAN KILL APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

howhill1

RE: Where do you get your weather forecast from?

Postby howhill1 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:35 pm

check out weatherbug.com its what i use most often. the info is tuned to your location ,is up to date and usually accurate.
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:45 pm

The MOST accurate?  NONE!

I have found that the best thing for me is to use a variety of sources, and then go with my gut. I start with:

http://www.noaa.gov/

From here I get a general overall view, and with the animated map I can see where the weather patterns are moving, and how they will cover the area I'm in.

Then, I look out the window!  I've lived, played and worked in the outdoors now for 56 years, and I find that my observations of local conditions, even those that are 12 to 24 hours away, are about as accurate as they are. Cloud patterns, humidity levels, wind direction and other external clues that I observe both consciously and unconsciously all have a bearing on this.

My paycheck depends on me getting the work I've contracted to do done. If it rains, we can't do it, so being aware of the weather has become somewhat of a survival skill for me!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:46 pm

I always use weatherunderground.com.

Its hit or miss like all of them though.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

vipermann7

Postby vipermann7 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:58 pm

I always use weatherbug.com. it gives hourly forcasts, which is super handy. and it tells you everything else you might want to know, like sunrise and set, wind direction and speed, moon phase, radar and satelite maps, all kinds of stuff. i like it, its always been fairly accurate around here in wisconsin.

DeerCamp

Postby DeerCamp » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:06 pm

I listen to the frogs... If they get loud I know that its going to get crappy out....lol JK.. I use www.weather.com it's been pretty good so far... But then again I just get an idea of what its gonna be like,cuz as you all know... it can change anytime.
"If I pull the hammer and shoot this young buck, he's dead. But if I pass on him, the next hunter might not shoot so straight."

bigwisconsinbucks

Postby bigwisconsinbucks » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:12 pm

I normally check weather.com which is pretty reliable and accuarate.
Kyle

Panman1949

Postby Panman1949 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:43 pm

I also use several sources.  Most all of them are good for about 24 hours, then start falling off fast.         panman
Be Aware, Bikes are Everywhere!!

FFKEVIN

Postby FFKEVIN » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:48 pm

[font=tahoma]I use both [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.weather.com/[/font][font=tahoma] and [/font][font=tahoma]http://www.wunderground.com/[/font][font=tahoma] but that is before I go to our cabin.  We do not have internet at our hunting cabin, so I always check the NOAA weather channel on our Midland walkie talkies and the wireless weather station in our cabin, before I go out.[/font]
�Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak.� - Ted Nugent

JOEL

Postby JOEL » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:49 pm

the weather channel,NOAA,weather underground ,open window stick head out and spray wind checker[;)]
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." - Fred Bear

Next

Return to Best Practices