Where do you get your weather forecast from?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
ARROWSMITH

RE: Where do you get your weather forecast from?

Postby ARROWSMITH » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:05 pm

I too use the internet, tv, and my noaa weather radio on my walkie talkie.  However if I am in cell phone range I will call to the nearest airport's Automated Surface weather Observation System (ASOS for short) or Automated Weather Observation System (AWOS for short) and they will give you either the hourly weather observation, or an observation that is updated every 2 minutes depending on what type of system your local airport has.  You can usually get the phone numbers for these systems by calling the local airport manager or the Air Traffic Controllers at the airport.

I find this to be useful if need to get the current winds when I'm getting ready to go out, or get a wind shift while I'm out and need to see what the current winds are.  Hope this was helpful.

Robert Rowland

Postby Robert Rowland » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:33 pm

I use www.weather.com  but as everyone knows they are just predictions.
I will pull up forecasts and radar from an area a couple hundred miles away in the direction the weather is coming from to see what has already developed and coming my way. Most of the time anything that hits Topeka or Salina, KS is going to hit me also.
My knees and ankles are good at predicting low pressure fronts also.

vipertech

Postby vipertech » Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:52 am

I always have to local news channels on the TV while I eat my breakfast.  I flip around to the different stations to get an overall idea of what the day will be like.   I'm generally most interested in their prediction for the wind direction.  That allows me to form a plan of which stand to go to. 

Wanderer

Postby Wanderer » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:58 am

I have wunderground.com set to monitor 5 different towns that surround the area that I hunt. Invariably, the opening screen will show 4 of the 5 towns having ENE or NE winds with one town (Rochester) having SW winds. (Well, they're not always NE and SW but one town is always the opposite). However, if I click on the Rochester forecast, the winds match the other 4 towns. My point is, don't let someone else do your analysis for you. Look at all the forecasts and then, go outside and see what it's really doing.

mnmaverick

Postby mnmaverick » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:01 am

on my iPhone...such a great tool for hunting! I have 2 weather apps on it...the weather channel and Weather Bug, which gives winds, barometric pressure, etc

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:08 am

I use NOAA.gov and Intellicast.  NOAA gives me fairly accurate local rain totals for my area from the previous three days.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:52 pm

Weather.com for me.
It really does'nt matter. Like Mark Twain said,"A great, great deal has been said about the weather,but very little has ever been done."

Just get out in it and hunt. See quote below.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

AlleganBowhunter

Postby AlleganBowhunter » Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:13 pm

I use wundergound.com as well.  I am really only interested in the hourly wind predictor.  Usually pretty accurate.  Accuweather  has nice RADAR  (never knew they had hourly winds also) but takes too long to open with my dial-up while Wx underground isn't so bad. 

Around here its easy to know when weather is moving in.  I don't hunt the mountains or big woods where I might be concerned about making it back before the weather.

Thanks for the tips and wish everyone a lot of Happy Hunting!
Aim for the center of the target... the center of an aspirin is the same size as the center of a basketball. The difference is mental.

John in Michigan.

whitetaleresearcher

Postby whitetaleresearcher » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:47 pm

ORIGINAL: Woods Walker

[size="3"]The MOST accurate?  NONE![/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
[size="3"]I have found that the best thing for me is to use a variety of sources, and then go with my gut. I start with:[/size]
[size="3"][/size] 
http://www.noaa.gov/

Agree

BoneCollector

Postby BoneCollector » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:21 am

ORIGINAL: mnmaverick

on my iPhone...such a great tool for hunting! I have 2 weather apps on it...the weather channel and Weather Bug, which gives winds, barometric pressure, etc

I too have an iPhone. It serves as a quick flashlight, time teller, alarm clock, and weatherman for me.

PreviousNext

Return to Best Practices