What do you rank as most important?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Nubs

What do you rank as most important?

Postby Nubs » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:21 pm

When it comes to all the different variables to hunting, i.e. equipment, weather, location, and food sources. What do you rank as most important to your hunting success?

I will rank what I think it most important.

1.) Perfectly tuned bow/arrow combination.

2.) Stand location

3.) Wind direction

4.) Camo

5.) Scent control

The last 2 I could almost interchange as far as importance, I guess if I have a good wind direction scent control isn't a huge issue. If I have a great stand set up then camo probably isn't that important either.

Goose

RE: What do you rank as most important?

Postby Goose » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:40 pm

scent control
stand location
weather
Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

passin through

Postby passin through » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:02 pm

If you define a successful hunt as one with a kill at the conclusion.  Then I would definitely say the perfectly tuned bow/zeroed rifle/patterned shotgun is the key ingredient to a successful hunt.  Followed very closely by appropriate amounts of trigger time to make you perfectly tuned as well as establishing the skill level needed to make a clean kill.  Everything else can go wrong or right but if you can't hit it you can't kill it.

If the hunt does not necessarily have to have a kill to be successful then I would say stand location (which would factor in food sources, bedding areas,ect.)  After that wind direction, scent control and personal/setup camouflage.  I say that because ----you can have the best wind in the world, a suit of scent locker on over your scent blocker suite and eat carbon for breakfast AND have a US Marine scout-sniper teach you how to brush in ----with all that----if you ain't where the deer are going to be----you might as well go home and watch golf.[:D]
It matters not the weapon nor its caliber, rather the caliber of the one who wields it.

ReflexHunter

Postby ReflexHunter » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:06 pm

1.  Location, not just stand location but also the area in general because I can't shoot a deer if it's not there.

2.  Mental preparation/readiness, I would include shooting practice in this category as well as knowing I am where deer are because if have to have confidence in a spot as well as knowing that if I am presented a shot I can make it happen. I am going to have a hard time staying in a spot very long and being fully alert if I don't have confidence in it.  Trail cams play a large part in this as well as rubs, scrapes, etc.

3.  Deer not knowing that I am there.  Camo, scent control, wind and other factors play a role in this but being well concealed is the most important to me because I never know which way the deer is goin to come from and to scent me he has to be down wind, to see me he can be in any direction.  Also not going into an area until the time is right, I have not been successful on this yet because I love to be in the woods and it would take away from the anticipation if I didn't get in and look at things before the season.       

northernVT

Postby northernVT » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:16 pm

1) Weather
2) wind direction
3) stand location
4) Camo- what I mean by camo, is sitting still. My grandfather shot a lot of deer in red and black checkered Johnson Wools. He just didn't move.

JPH

Postby JPH » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:53 pm

Sorry, I cannot separate or rank the factors in order of importance because I believe consistent success to be equal measures of several factors. I beleieve them to be interdependent. If a hunter fails at any one of these, I believe the things comes down like a house of cards.

So in no particular order, here are the things that I feel equally share the #1 slot: knowledge of the terrain, knowledge of deer habits, stand location, wind direction, timing, scent control, camouflage, proper clothing, marksmanship  and physical conditioning.

paulie

Postby paulie » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:24 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

Sorry, I cannot separate or rank the factors in order of importance because I believe consistent success to be equal measures of several factors. I beleieve them to be interdependent. If a hunter fails at any one of these, I believe the things comes down like a house of cards.

So in no particular order, here are the things that I feel equally share the #1 slot: knowledge of the terrain, knowledge of deer habits, stand location, wind direction, timing, scent control, camouflage, proper clothing, marksmanship  and physical conditioning.

Well said!! I would like add one thing, "reliable equiptment" (bow, firearm)

coach

Postby coach » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:40 pm

JPH....Lets see if I get it now...

#1   scent control
#1   wind direction
#1   stand location
#1   Perfectly tuned bow, shot gun, crossbow, rifle...ect

#2   Camo.

Let me explain....

Stand in wrong location...you will be busted no matter what.  Scent control...its hard enough to shoot a big buck..try and shoot a big buck that knows your there.  Wind direction...this goes with scent control and stand location.  Tuned equipement....No matter how concealed, scent free, perfect location....if you can't shoot crap, you might as well have lunch with Toby !!  And that my friend, is not pleasant. [;)]

Cheers
Ottawa, Ontario

buckfever007

Postby buckfever007 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:42 pm

1. Tuned in gun/bow - you gotta trust what you're shooting with!
2. Scent control - being "invisible" as far as smell is key
3. Stand location -if your scent is perfect, you can go where the deer are
4. Weather - includes wind and ideal conditions for movement
5. Patience!

howhill1

Postby howhill1 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:44 pm

ORIGINAL: JPH

\

yea.....what he said[;)]
"please join the N.R.A. as well as your state rifle association! these are critical times for ALL gun owners. Be informed, be active and stay vigilant"

Next

Return to Best Practices