Anyone using mock scrapes?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
WiredToHunt

Anyone using mock scrapes?

Postby WiredToHunt » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:00 pm

Hey, I'm curious if any of you guys out there are using mock scrapes. You putting a dripper over it? Do you pee on it? Do you make one hub or do you make a bunch. I've heard so many different ideas on this topic, just wondering if you guys have any actual experience with them. We've tried them up at our camp with some success, but I'm always looking for ways to improve...any thoughts?
Wired To Hunt
The Deer Hunting Blog for the Next Generation
http://www.wiredtohunt.com

cdn1

RE: Anyone using mock scrapes?

Postby cdn1 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:24 pm

I've messed with mock scrapes a fair bit in past seasons had mixed sucess. If you are gonna make them try not to forget the liking branch if you don't have one you can wire a branch over where you want to put them. Evergreen branches seem to work the best in conjunction with a scrape dripper. My issue always seems that they usually always visit them at night and gets me frustated quickly even when the sent dripper only drips during the day. I feel it may keep a buck interested in my area over my neighbors so I figure it's worth it for the advantage.
P.S. wear rubber gloves when you are making them.
Cdn1

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:55 am

I made one a couple years ago.
First night it got hit, second night it got hit, 3rd night it did not ....a hunter the next property over got the deer.
I used human pee, and a preorbital gland scent on a branch over the scrape.
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

gunther89

Postby gunther89 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:32 am

I have used mock scrapes and haven't had much luck with them.  I had 2 cameras over 2 mock scrapes this past week and 1 camera only got a couple of does and the other one had 2 1.5 year olds on them.  I will stick with real scrapes as those are the ones I have had the best luck with.
Scott

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:05 am

I have used mock scrapes for as long as I have had a trail camera.  I use my own urine, stored in my own bladder, to scent the scrape and made with the heel of my own boot.   I even use my own bare hands to pull the licking branch down to urinate on that also.  I have great luck having mature bucks stop by within a day or so to investigate, and in most cases they freshen the scrape while they are there.  Typically, all I need to do is get the scrape going (sometimes as early as June) and the local deer population keeps it going. 

Heck, I even made a mock scrape under the bow of a pine tree.  It was the only tree in the open that I could hang my trail cam on, that was near my favorite stand.  Got some great pics from that one just this past week.

What is the worst that could happen?  It won't work!
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:09 am

I'll make or freshen up old scrapes weeks before the season starts....And I'll continue to do this up till the end of the year.  Deer use scrapes year round...Most people think they only use them during the rut, and hence this is when most people make them or use them to their advantages.  By getting in and doing it early, it'll catch their attention and keep them hanging around the property longer, IMO.  This should result in more sightings for you!
QDM!

wolf60

Postby wolf60 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:38 am

I made one by just kicking the leaves away with my boot. Then I bent a branch down and sprayed some buck urine on it. I did this on the first day of a 10 day hunt. I put my nephew in that stand and he had an 8 pt. buck come in 3 days in a row. Last year I did exactly the same thing, in the same place and never saw a deer. Who knows! I will keep trying it. Like the other fella said "what have you got to loose". But I absolutely do agree that the licking branch is more important than the scrape. I have seen many a buck walk into a scrape and never touch the scrape. All he was intrested in was the licking branch. Keep this in mind when you are making a mock scrape.  Good luck and hunt safe.  Frank

whitetaleresearcher

Postby whitetaleresearcher » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:49 pm

ORIGINAL: WiredToHunt

Hey, I'm curious if any of you guys out there are using mock scrapes. You putting a dripper over it? Do you pee on it? Do you make one hub or do you make a bunch. I've heard so many different ideas on this topic, just wondering if you guys have any actual experience with them. We've tried them up at our camp with some success, but I'm always looking for ways to improve...any thoughts?

Make sure to have the overhead licking branch!!!
Hunting buddy pees on his mock scrape each day.  Deer check it out frequently.

fixedblade

Postby fixedblade » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:11 am

Yep I use them and use the Tinks buck lure on the licking branch and BioExtreme's Deer Dirt in the scrape.  Works very well and the bucks right now are tearing it up... I think the combo of the tinks and the deer dirt really make the difference.  I know the deer dirt brings them to the scrape much quicker and they tear the crap out of them and really pee in them a bunch...

Relentless

Postby Relentless » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:25 am

Wired, what results are you looking for?  A big racked buck or any deer?  I would not suggest the use of a mock scrape if looking for a big boy.  That is just my opinion.  My strategy for the big boys is to find the funnels, or create one in the off season, and steer clear of them until the rut.  Anything unnatural in the woods has the potential to ruin your chances. 

After the rut, find the food. 

With that being said, if you are just looking for any deer then I don't think your mock scrapes will bother younger deer much.

Bucks and does alike, if I ever lose the rush leading up to and after a kill, I will hang it up. Knowing me, that will never happen.

Return to Best Practices