Moon Phases

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
adirondackhunter

RE: moon phases

Postby adirondackhunter » Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:22 pm

I don't pay alot of attention to the moon phases.Deer and deer hunting will have articles about the moon phases.I just try to be in the woods as much as possible.But i don't bow hunt ,i still hunt with a muzzleloader and rifle.I do know some bow hunters who will pay close attention to the moon phases.[8|]
Hunt to live , Live to hunt

Eight_Oak_Acres

Postby Eight_Oak_Acres » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:37 am

I think moon phases affect deer movement...but I think it is just a piece of the puzzle.

google "moon phases, deer" and there should be enough info to get you started.
-Eric

Sailfish

Postby Sailfish » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:08 am

I can tell you this from experience.

I offshore fish regularly, and rarely pay attention to the moon phases.

We pretty much can always get a bite, BUT, there are so many times that it's like a switch was thrown and the bite goes wild.

I'll pull out my Garmin and check the hunt and fish cycle and 100% of the time it falls within the prediction!!

Our seasonal tarpon bite ALWAYS falls within the lunar phase..

I would not doubt that land animals are affected just as much. Of course they will almost always have to eat or move, but I bet that when the lunar phase is right, they too would fall into place.

Just my $2/100
"Go as far as you can see; when you get there, you'll be able to see farther."

RNC

Postby RNC » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:12 am

I cant say I believe the moon phase is the "ONE" trigger to predict the rut. It may very well have some influence but its not the major determining factor. I have talked with a various DNR folks in the area we hunt in Wisconsin and they agree for a simple reason. Fawns have to be born in a certian time frame for the best chance of survival. If they are born too early a late spring snow storm could prove fatal. If they are born too late they wont be big enough to survive the winter. So seeing how the moon pahses dont happen exactly the same every year, even though they do closely repeat every so many years, this would throw off the window for being born for the best chance of survival.

wappkid

Moon Phases

Postby wappkid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:18 pm

What moon phases are the best to hunt.What time is the best to be in the woods with what moon phases.

Demoderby4

RE: Moon Phases

Postby Demoderby4 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:48 pm

I'm pretty sure everyone will have different answers on this, but i have had the best luck this year when the moon is full or close to full. Which just happened this last weekend and i had some good action, it was awesome :) and for me, my body is addicted to sleep lol so its hard for me to get up and out in the woods before dawn more than a handful of times per year, it prob happens 5-7 times a year, all other times im out in the afternoon, but thats because have seen the most deer within the last 2 hrs of dark than any other time of the day. To correlate those past sightings with moon phases i cannot do, i didnt write em down in the last years, that is changing this next year coming up, i plan on keeping detailed journal of that type of stuff among a lot more things, hope this helped somewhat! Welcome to the site btw! You will gain so much knowlwdge from all these guys they're great!

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:14 pm

Something to add to this...A rising moon, whether that be in the morning, afternoon, or evening is always good (well not always but puts the odds in your favor!).  Seems the deer like to stay on their feet a little bit longer when this occurs, or in the case in the evening they seem to come out a bit earlier.

Good luck hunting!
QDM!

kykevin

Postby kykevin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:52 am

I always thought the same thing. I just read a study done at the king ranch and deer movemnt wasnt dependant on moon phase at all. I still think the moon plays a part though.
-=It's not a passion. It's an obsession.=--

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:51 pm

I prefer the new moon phase through the first half moon..."waxing" moon, as opposed to the full through last quarter...."waning" moon.

But the deer move either way. The difference, is that they may feed a bit earlier in the full/waning phase, (morning), and come out later in the afternoon....maybe after legal hours. But on the other side, they will move around in cover mid morning to feed a bit, so if you are in good cover you may have some action.

Deer will feed every 6 hours or so (unless the weather is really nasty) like all ruminents. When the moon is dark to waxing, then they feed where you can see them better.
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:06 am

I've always had my best luck with a full moon.  But I wouldn't determine my hunting time in the woods based upon moon phase.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Next

Return to Best Practices