Moon Phases

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
GTOHunter

RE: Moon Phases

Postby GTOHunter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:49 pm

I agree with KYKevin...I've seen more Deer out moving/feeding if the moon comes up early in the late evening or stays out longer in the early mornings!I used to buy one of those Moon Guides from the Deer catalogs/Hunting Stores and it was really helpful to show you when to expect the most Deer movement and where they are moving to and from bedding,feeding area's etc...! The Guides are on a round dial and usually cover the Moon Phases and the Rut,kinda handy little Guides with some interesting information. I haven't bought any of the Moon Guides for the past few years...figured any day out Hunting was a good day wheter I checked a Guide or not! [;)]

Oh yeah...another thing to consider is barometric pressure and if any Storm fronts come in the Deer will move more before and after a Storm also.

Bluegrass Archer

Postby Bluegrass Archer » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:12 pm

I say keep it simple. If the temperature is cool, you got a better chance of seeing some deer. If a storms coming in you got a better chance of seeing some deer. If you try to figure out when deer move based on different moon phases, your in for some disappointment.. I'm not saying it doesnt play a role, because the moon has alot of interesting effects on nature, but there going to move no matter what moon it is. and alot of other factors disrupt there habits aswell..

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:16 pm

Everything I have read says that neither the moon phase nor the moon position has any bearing what so ever on movement patterns.

Now, what I have read and what I practice are two different things.  I like a moon directly overhead or directly beneath my feet.  Not sure if it is just my perception or what but I tend to see deer get up and browse just a hair earlier in the evening when that moon is in either position near dusk.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

shaman

Postby shaman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:02 am

I've got a Casio watch that tries to predict deer movement.  I call it The Magic Watch.  I've commented on it a few times before on D&DH.  The basis for this watch's predictions are based on moon phase and the rising and setting of the moon.  If you believe the watch, there are 4 periods of activity:  moon rise, moon set, and the halfway point where the moon is either directly beneath your feet or directly above your head.   It also has a meter that gives 1 -4  hoofprints to tell you the amplitude of the activity.  4 hoofprints supposedly mean the deer are out moving around in a big way.  You usually only see the 4 hoofprints during the full moon.

PTHTHTHTHTHTHTHTHTh!  Phooey!

I don't buy it. I don't see it.  I don't believe it. I have been out and about in all sorts of conditions among the deer and the watch don't know squat.   I keep the watch, because it's good for telling sunrise and sunset, but as far as a predictor of deer movement?  Yeah, right.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

msbadger

Postby msbadger » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:12 am

Ouch..and on D&DH...weather and what they were taught by the old gal in the group...also by how much and intensity of the buck chasing them...I've been seeing chasing for the last week

JPH

Postby JPH » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:19 am

With all due respect to CA and other proponents of moon phase theories, I am nowhere near convinced that the moon phase as much effect, if any, on rut timing.  

I do have some thoughts on how the moon effects daylight deer activity though. I like to hunt evenings with high pressure systems and large rising moon. My guess is that deer like to feed by the light of the moon, so this condition gets them moving past our stands as the sun is setting. I also like to hunt the new moon because I think it keeps deer from feeding too heavily at night. And finally, I tend to see fewer deer during the full moon. Again, my thinking is that they are feeding by moonlight rather than hunting hours.

Just my best guesses.

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:20 am

I have yet to see real STATISTICAL data CORRELATING moon phases to deer activity.  This is what needs to happen.  I need to see raw data to analyze myself using statistical methods that are true and not skewed to fit or assumptions made.  What is the sampling plan?  How is the data recorded?  What are they measuring?  Is their measurement system sound?  Is the means, sd's, variation, the same or just one or two and the others are off.  These are question's I have to D&DH when they say such things.  I want to know who performed the study and what methods they followed along with data to support it.  I also want to know how they analyzed the data.  Not just:  "We saw more deer on this day than the other".  Can you repeat and reproduce that with confidence I would ask?
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

Goose

Postby Goose » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:28 am

I too fall in line with most of the other posts on here.

I have also noticed that I see deer earlier or later when the moon rises or sets early/late.

Jake

Genesis 27:3 Take your bow and quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game.....

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:58 am

ORIGINAL: JPH

With all due respect to CA and other proponents of moon phase theories, I am nowhere near convinced that the moon phase as much effect, if any, on rut timing.  

I do have some thoughts on how the moon effects daylight deer activity though. I like to hunt evenings with high pressure systems and large rising moon. My guess is that deer like to feed by the light of the moon, so this condition gets them moving past our stands as the sun is setting. I also like to hunt the new moon because I think it keeps deer from feeding too heavily at night. And finally, I tend to see fewer deer during the full moon. Again, my thinking is that they are feeding by moonlight rather than hunting hours.

Just my best guesses.

Based on what I saw early this morning I'm inclined to agree...just coming off a full moon, nothing but clear skies and the deer were out in the fields feeding...this past Saturday, no moon light, no deer in the fields and almost no traffic past my stand.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:47 pm

I don't know too much about hunting moon phases, mainly because I always overthink it, and make my brain hurt.
So the days I try to be out are cloudy overcast days hopefully with a storm approaching, then a rising barometer after a storm.
Just my two cents.

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Previous

Return to Best Practices