Missed an easy shot

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Squirrelhawker

Missed an easy shot

Postby Squirrelhawker » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:57 am

Monday night 4:45pm I'm in a short 10' ladder in a hedge dividing a hayfield from a corn field. The 6pt cut diagonally toward me across the hay field and I thought he would come right under the stand which would have resulted in a chinese fire drill or no shot at all. Predictably he stopped short of the corner and stepped through the hedge. I had ranged a spot closer and estimated him at around 25 yrds when he got to the first lane. Thats when I began to overthink it. Aim low in case he hears the bow go off? Hold too high and if he's closer than I think, that might not be good. I held low behind the shoulder and watched the arrow sail right under his chest. Then to add insult to injury, he thinks its just the wind and instead of leaving, takes a hop or two, turns into the corner and stands broadside at 19 yards. As he begins to scope out my stand and starts to look suspicious, I close my eyes and hide behind the bow. He relaxes again and as he starts to feed he turns away from me and I actually got another arrow on. I use a draw-loc so getting ready again is a bit more involved for me. He never gave me another shot and has no clue
how close he came to losing his scalp. I keep seeing the whole thing in my sleep [:o]

TFin04

RE: Missed an easy shot

Postby TFin04 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:03 am

It happens, don't beat yourself up over it. Just try to relax and shoot like you know how to next time.

I shot over the biggest buck of my life early this season. Misjudged the distance, was my first time in that stand. Held for 20, he was standing at about 12 down a little ravine. He ducked a bit from the string and the arrow sailed right over top.

PrairieShadow

Postby PrairieShadow » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:10 am

I missed a huge 6x7 this year at 25yds from the ground no less. I had put in 70+ days of hunting this year for that opportunity and blew it.

Get to the range, get some confidence back then redeem yourself.
Hunting isn't a matter of Life or Death
Its MUCH more important than that!

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:42 am

Missed a doe at 15 yrds a couple weeks ago...not even sure what happened, I can only blame it on nerves!

8uck5nort

Postby 8uck5nort » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:38 pm

I nailed my first deer at 17 yards in Sept. then proceeded to miss the next six times all at distance of less than 25 yards with bow and rifle...

I know what you mean by seeing it over and over in your head. I have relived every miss again and again. Doesn't take the sting out any less if it happened on a buck or doe.

Hang in there.
Veni, Vidi, Sagittam Mittere, now I'm ready for my nap :)

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:15 am

Nerves can play havoc, especially when shooting a bow.

Always check well to be sure you missed - this bow season I shot a deer at 30 yards and was certain I saw the arrow go over her back.  Not until she fell over about 50 yards from where I shot her did I realize I hit her.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Challenger

Postby Challenger » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:32 pm

ORIGINAL: Squirrelhawker

Monday night 4:45pm I'm in a short 10' ladder in a hedge dividing a hayfield from a corn field. The 6pt cut diagonally toward me across the hay field and I thought he would come right under the stand which would have resulted in a chinese fire drill or no shot at all. Predictably he stopped short of the corner and stepped through the hedge. I had ranged a spot closer and estimated him at around 25 yrds when he got to the first lane. Thats when I began to overthink it. Aim low in case he hears the bow go off? Hold too high and if he's closer than I think, that might not be good. I held low behind the shoulder and watched the arrow sail right under his chest. Then to add insult to injury, he thinks its just the wind and instead of leaving, takes a hop or two, turns into the corner and stands broadside at 19 yards. As he begins to scope out my stand and starts to look suspicious, I close my eyes and hide behind the bow. He relaxes again and as he starts to feed he turns away from me and I actually got another arrow on. I use a draw-loc so getting ready again is a bit more involved for me. He never gave me another shot and has no clue
how close he came to losing his scalp. I keep seeing the whole thing in my sleep [:o]

What a bunch of weenies ... don't you know 1/2 the fun of hunting is missing easy shots (for whatever reason) & going home to see how many times you can bang your head on a wall before getting a headache?

Years ago I was up on a 20' tower stand with a 4' railing. The deck was a nice 9'X9'. I had been slowly glassing the south side with my 8X50 nocs & then went to the north side checking out between 30 & 70 yds. I hear a noise, look straight down & there's a big 8 pointer ... oooh.

I slowly step back & shoulder my 30-06 BAR. But it's not easy to lean over a 4' railing & get a full sight picture, all without that buck hearing me. But he didn't ... I slowly squeeze off a shot & "click." No reaction as he slowly keeps moving & picking up acorns.

I move back to chamber a round ... trouble is, you can't chamber a BAR slowly ... if it don't fly, it don't seat.

Well, I was by myself that day & I really didn't feel like dragging that buck back to the car anyway. Yeah, & the more I thought about it, he was a pretty ratty looking deer ... yeah, why waste a tag on him.

And you just keep telling yourself that, until you stop screaming!
[:D]
There are none so blind as those who will not see. Jonathan Swift, 1738

NRA Life Member

Return to Best Practices