OLD DOG NEW TRICK

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
loneranger

Re: OLD DOG NEW TRICK

Postby loneranger » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:26 pm

I have read,,that when an opening day of deer season comes around,every dedicated deer hunter,,no matter how he feels,or how sick he may be, will drag himself out of bed and out to his deer stand. Since another Opener is always coming. It only figures, Deer Hunters-NEVER-DIE!

Bowtechian

Postby Bowtechian » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:35 pm

It's not what I learned this year, but rather what my in-laws learned. Can you believe they planned a family vacation to Disney in early November? Instead of being 20' up a tree on the first two Saturdays of November, I was at 30,000 feet. I went along peacefully for the sake of my wife & two boys, but "politely" let them know it will never happen again. ;)
Dave M.

Ohio farms

Postby Ohio farms » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:41 pm

From this day forth you will be known at St.Bowtechian. :)
Keep life simple...if you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras.

avluey

Postby avluey » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:27 pm

Today was the last day of deer season. Kansas's extended antlerless rifle season ended 10 minutes after I laid low a nice little doe crossing a bean field. There is an extended antlerless archery season that goes through the end of the month in a small unit, but I'll have to drive 2+ hours to get out there and I doubt I'll have time. I prefer archery, and I have a doe tag left, but since I put another one down today I think my season is probably over. Two mornings ago I missed high on a big doe at 285 yards. I've been pissed at myself ever since, and this morning I saw 3 bucks but no does...figured I'd be thinking about that shot until next season. As I was headed home I decided to hit a public area near my house for the first time. Set up on the ground facing into the wind at 2, by 530 still nothing. Then there she was. Moving steadily out of a draw and south to north just a little left of me. I drew a bead on her and just let her come. She finally stopped only 50 yards from me, giving me an easy broadside chip shot. She disappeared as the 7mag went off, but she didn't go anywhere but straight down into the beans. I'm on cloud nine right now. Finished up with a nice deer, had a euphoric half mile walk to drag her out, and most importantly - I GOT MY CONFIDENCE BACK!

Previous

Return to Best Practices