Scout now!

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Cut N Run

Scout now!

Postby Cut N Run » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:36 pm

Enough time has elapsed since the end of deer season that right now should be easiest time to find the deer's most regular travel routes in & around heavy cover with the leaf cover gone. It is a great time to find shed antlers and scout an area for turkeys too. If the weather permits, get out and see what you've been missing, or find that killer stand site that had been avoiding you when the leaves were out.
There is no better time to cut shooting lanes either. The trees and branches will be gone so long by the time archery season rolls around, the deer won't remember them being there in the first place.

A little work right now can equal success next fall.

Jim
Luck Counts, good or bad

Woods Walker

Re: Scout now!

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:20 pm

You are SOOO right about that Cut! This is my favorite time of year to scout.

I took my bow for a hike today in my neighbor's woods next to my place, and while I don't hunt there I still like to walk around in there. The trails are so easy to see right now that a blind man could find them. I also saw several scrapes from this past rut, and while stump shooting I found a shed too!
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

freak nasty 145

Postby freak nasty 145 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 pm

100% agree!!!
"Any sportsman who can kill his deer without the tingling spine, the quick clutch at his heart, the delicious trembling of nerve fibers when the game is finally down, has no place in the deer woods." Lawrence R. Koller. (1948).

luvhuntin

Postby luvhuntin » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:13 am

I like to hang my stands in that new found hot spot right now also. sure beats doing it in July when the humidity and bugs are as thick as the undergrowth! of course that`s only on private land if you do that on public ground in Iowa you`ll have to go to the DNR auction in May to buy it back!

Return to Best Practices