Wind direction

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
hilltop

Wind direction

Postby hilltop » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:17 am

A couple buddies and I were discussing wind direction the other day. The question was when hunting on a field or food plot do you want the wind going from you to the field or from the field to you? I personally have been busted both ways. What do you all think? I still prefer the wind coming from the field so any deer in the field are up wind.

69Viking

RE: Wind direction

Postby 69Viking » Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:44 am

I prefer from the field towards you. The only way you get busted is from one direction and that's if a deer is approaching the filed from behind you. The other way around with the wind behind you then deer coming into the field from 3 different directions could possibly detect your scent.

JPH

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:10 am

If at all possible, I like to hunt a cross wind that will allow me to hunt the field edge from downwind of where I expect deer to enter the field, but also keeps my scent out of the feeding area. My second option would be to hunt the edge so that my scent blows into a pasture or fallow field.

If I have to, I will let my scent blow out into the field. This at least offers me a shot before they walk into my scent stream. 

I will not hunt a field edge while my scent blows into heavy cover. I think that is the worst thing you can do. Deer, particularly mature deer, will hang in cover and scent check before going into a field. If you let the wind take you into the thick stuff, you will bust deer that you never see.

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:36 am

It all depends on where you expect the deer to be. 

You don't want the wind taking your scent to them, so if the deer are in the field, then the wind should blow from the field to you.  If the deer are in the woods behind you, then you want the wind blowing into the field.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:01 am

Stupid wind.  You'd think we could come up with something to change that.[:D]
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:05 am

Agree with JPH and ranwin33..really depends on what time of day your hunting them and where you expect the to come from..the deer where I hunt generally skirt the edges just inside the treeline so I like the wind blowing out into the field if I'm hunting the treeline...if I'm deeper in I want the wind going away from the field anticipating the deer traveling between me and the field.

nhdeerchaser

Postby nhdeerchaser » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:36 pm

I have a bear of a time hunting the wind! It always seems like it just will be blowing from one direction, then without warning, change direction!
I just do my best, and get as high into my tree as I can, and hope the deer come from the direction the wind is notblowing directly into!

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 am

I'll be the moron, help me out here.  I think the 1st thing I was ever told about deer, especially bucks is that move with nose in the wind. This has never made any sense to me.  I would think they would move with wind behind them, they can see ahead and smell something approaching behind. I guess they can outsmell their sight and moving into the wind could smell something before they could see or maybe not be able to see. I confused myself typing this. I know there is no single truth but in general what is the opinion on this?

JPH

Postby JPH » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:05 pm

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn 2

I'll be the moron, help me out here.  I think the 1st thing I was ever told about deer, especially bucks is that move with nose in the wind...

To begin with, don't feel bad about asking questions. We're all here to learn from each other.

Secondly, the notion that bucks only travel into the wind is not true. They will sometimes circle downwind to check something out, which may give rise to the myth, but they go where they want to go.

buckhunter21

Postby buckhunter21 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:11 pm

This is true what JPH stated...

On a comical note, if they only walked with the wind in their face, and it's been a constant wind from, say, the west....They'd be on the west coast before you know it!
QDM!

Next

Return to Best Practices