Wind direction

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
nhdeerchaser

RE: Wind direction

Postby nhdeerchaser » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:22 pm

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Stupid wind.  You'd think we could come up with something to change that.[:D]

I agree! Stupid wind

Mike
You can't kill'em sittin' on the couch!

drdaven

Postby drdaven » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:36 am

I have become a wind-aholic as of late.  I have six websites dedicated to daily weather/wind related predictions.  My friends and family know when hunting season is getting close because all of my computers history is littered with visits to all of these sites.  If you need to know what today, tomorrows or the upcoming weekends wind predictions are, just call me.  Yes, it's THAT bad.

I have numerous stands that I keep up.  All stands are entered into a journal (a small spiral bound notebook stashed in my backpack) with optimal wind directions listed.  Additional information on these stands, such as measured distances to obvious landmarks and favored deer entrances and exits, has also found its way into my journal.

My preferred wind direction to hunt is one of a cross wind with a flavor for the open field for dispersion.  Wind eddys are bound to occur and I have found that with the open field this allows for less funneling of my scent stream.  The deer tend to be a little more tolerant of the "hint" of human odor they invariably seem to find.  Most deer that come to the field are definately on the upwind side of my stand, but there always seems to be one oddball that insists on coming out down wind.  Grrrrrrrrrr.  I don't get busted perse' but they definately are testing the wind of my scent stream.  Guess I pass the test, because they usually just start feeding and all becomes natural again.
Hunting the Michigan Thumbs agricultural mecca...farm country bucks taste the best.

Everyday Hunter

Postby Everyday Hunter » Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:09 am

Good post, David.

We need to be meticulous about our hunting, and be learning all the time how to be more meticulous. I need to do like you do and keep a notebook.

Steve
When the Everyday Hunter isn't hunting, he's thinking about hunting, talking about hunting, dreaming about hunting, writing about hunting, or wishing he were hunting.

Washburn

Postby Washburn » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:19 am

ORIGINAL: Lot to Learn 2 I think the 1st thing I was ever told about deer, especially bucks is that move with nose in the wind. This has never made any sense to me.  I would think they would move with wind behind them, they can see ahead and smell something approaching behind.

I have often times observed bedded deer which were facing downwind. They do this (I think) for the reasons you stated: they can use their eyes and eyes to sense what is in front of them, and their amazing sense of smell to detect predators from behind.
Deer probably walk in this same manner, but I observe it more with bedded deer.

Washburn
"As the light grows dimmer and the trail begins to fade, my sweetest dreams are those of yesteryear, at deer camp."

Previous

Return to Best Practices