How To Make Homemade Doe Calls?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
Swandog09

RE: How To Make Homemade Doe Calls?

Postby Swandog09 » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:21 am

Maybe I just got lucky, but I have had no problems with my Primos can call and have had the same one for years.  I use the mid size doe in heat bleat call. 

I had to replace it once because of user error....I dropped it while in the stand (20-22 ft or so) and it bottom popped off.  The current one is going on year 4. 

That's why they call it hunting and not getting

outdoorswoman

Postby outdoorswoman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:50 am

ORIGINAL: dmcianfa

Word to the wise:

Save yourselves all the pain of can calls and buy yourself a "Hot Ma-Ma" hand call.  Works like a grunt tube and is capable of making all sorts of different doe and fawn sounds.  I tossed my undependable cans away last year when I got this for christmas and I'm telling you I wish this product came along earlier in my hunting years.  I had to carry different size cans for different sounds, they failed to produce consistent sounds, they would often fail after one or two seasons completely, and they even make a sound when the silence hole is covered.  I know it's easy to use and carry, but trust me you won't regret switching.

Oh yeah, I know I can do that, but I like to be difficult sometimes and I need some sort of a project to keep me busy lol. If it fails, well then off to the store, but I'll probably keep working on making my own until I get it right. The hand calls can be quite nice, but I love the whole 'tip me over and back' deal with can calls.

outdoorswoman

Postby outdoorswoman » Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:50 am

ORIGINAL: buckfarmdude

The material they make the bellows out of is pretty thin. Yours might have gotten a hole in it or something like that. let me know what you find out when you take it apart. Maybe even post pics so we can see it's innards??

Yep, I can do that. I'm going to go now and try to get it opened and I'll probably be back with pics soon.

Edit:
Ok here are the pics:

full doe call (cover removed):

doe call & a circular piece of cardboard with latex (was located at bottom of call)

top of 'thing' that holds the reed (reed still connected, it's like glued on)

bottom of 'thing' that holds reed (just so you get a general picture)

whole 'thing' that holds reed (size, shape example. The brown surrounding it is cardboard. The stuff inside holding the reed in place looks like a type of glue/cement)(oh and ignore the background items.)

all of insides in one pic:

soo yeah, this thing is OLD!

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:31 pm

Wow! I've never seen one like that! That must be one of their original designs.
Thanks for posting the pics!
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

outdoorswoman

Postby outdoorswoman » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:14 am

Lol i'm guessing so. I can blow into the reed and it will make the sound, but I have no clue how to work with any of the items I found on the inside. The reed is cemented in there, so there is no way of removing it at all. The reed is also plastic and had little to no protection as the can was being tipped. Unless the latex had something to do with that.

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:31 pm

So basically you can't get the reed out? Can you cut around it at all? (just try not to ruin a good knife doing it)
Psalm 42:1 "As the deer pants for the water brooks, So my soul pants for Thee O God."

dmcianfa

Postby dmcianfa » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:31 pm

hmm, never had that problem with mine and it gets very cold up here in the U.P. of Michigan.  Must have got some defective models.  I've just never had moisture build up on the reed, but maybe it turns to ice to fast. [:)]  I am interested in the true talker you speak of though.  Does it make buck grunts too?  Doe in heat sounds, fawn bleats, multiple doe tones?
"I enjoy and become completely immersed in the challenge and the increased opportunity to become for a time a part of nature. Deer hunting is a classical exercise in freedom. It�s a return to fundamentals that I distinctly feel are basic and right"-F.B.

buckfarmdude

Postby buckfarmdude » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:31 pm

I believe it has sour "memory bands", which are rubber bands on the outside of the call. You place them where you want them based on the sounds they make, and then you just press the rubber band of choice to make the desired call.

Did that make any sense? Image

outdoorswoman

Postby outdoorswoman » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:40 am

ORIGINAL: buckfarmdude

So basically you can't get the reed out? Can you cut around it at all? (just try not to ruin a good knife doing it)

Nope, can't cut it out. If I tried I'd probably break the reed and a knife, which wouldn't be to great... I'm just trying to figure out what the latex is there for.

Previous

Return to Best Practices