Can deer see UV's???

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
cdn1

Can deer see UV's???

Postby cdn1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:24 am

I was out hunting last Saturday evening and had a doe pretty much spot me as soon as she entered the bean field. I have never had this happen before. The wind was crossing from left to right, I had on full camo, wore scent killer and stood rock solid the moment the doe and fawn entered the field. The doe was watching me the entire time she was in the field. They came into about 100yrds she stomped twice and bounded off and blew a snort to top it off.
I can see it being my stand location I am in a multi trunked tree , 25yrds of the field with good cover in the fore and background
I have been running through this all week the only thing I can figure is that she saw some sort of UV's in my clothing. The camo was new and the first time I ever wore it. I did wash it before the season in baking soda. I have now rewashed it in no scent, UV killer and baking soda. Hope this fixes the problem. Anybody else ever experience this?

Lot to Learn 2

RE: Can deer see UV's???

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:34 am

from everything I have read uv is like glow in the dark to deer.  We have all been busted and went through the same thing you are. does anyone else hunt the stand?  wondering if the doe busted someone else in that stand recently and was still concerned.

shaman

Postby shaman » Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:59 am

Go hunt down my answer to this at my blog. The link is in my signature line.

Use the search function and look for  things like   "UV-Killer"  "Atsko"  "Elephant Repellent"  "Useless"

Mind you, this is just my opinion, but I DID do some tests.  Let me know if you have any trouble finding my opinions on UV in relation to deer hunting.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

ranwin33

Postby ranwin33 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:07 am

I would say deer can most likely see UV's to some extent, at least differently than we do or don't.  The science that we have now would indicate this to be true given what we know about rods/cones in the eye.

But do they find them a threat and do UV killers help conceal you, well that's a different question.
“There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from the grocery, and the other that heat comes from the furnace.”
Aldo Leopold

cdn1

Postby cdn1 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:54 am

Thanks for your replys guys and Shaman I have always been of the same thinking, there can't be that much to the UV thing. Now that, that doe has picked me off I am rehasing the UV ideaology. I guess I could just chalk it up to bad luck but I did spend the $6.98 for a bottle of sport wash just in case. [;)]
Cdn1

Archery_NUT

Postby Archery_NUT » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:09 pm

i was thinking the same thing! i recently moved my stand and i have only seen two deer. i had a big branch in front of me so i could only see trhem through a small opening the whole time! sand they didnt come in and i was wondering this! although the wind changed to wear they were downwind but they never spooked and then the wind changed back in my favor! but i have always wondered about this and then i am skeptical like shaman! so maybe ill experiment i know it isnt that expensive for the sport wash!
bad day of hunting beats a good day of school or work anytime

shaman

Postby shaman » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:31 pm

I just checked my website analysis for last week, and my poor little website got over 200 hits one day last week, all pointed at the UV suppression tests.  That's the most hits on one of my pages since last Thanksgiving when 800+ people worldwide found my essay on "taking a turkey's temperature" which was originally published on the Quaker Boy site several years ago.

Housewives all over the world got these instructions on how to:

Well you first have to get underneath the gobbler, this is usually done by first pushing his
head down with your left hand and then bringing the tail up with the right. Put the neck
firmly under your left boot. Use the pressure of your boot on his neck to encourage compliance. Now take the thermometer, well lubricated with Vaseline and place it. . .

. . . by the way, watch out for the spurs. They're nasty.

I hope no one got hurt.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries of SW Bracken County, KY
Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

danesdad

Postby danesdad » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:22 pm

If it means anything, I usually have good luck remaining concealed in multi trunk trees...to the point that I'll choose them over single trunks when I get the option. Maybe my body looks like just another trunk, but deer seem less concerned with me when I'm in the multi trunk trees. I do not use soaps with UV brighteners on my hunting clothes, but that's all I pay attention to as far as UV is concerned. I compare UV surpression detergeants to those whistlers you can put on your car that are supposed to prevent deer from running out in front of you. I believe deer are aware of both, but I doubt that either will make a deer run away in terror in most situations. JMO.

Return to Best Practices