RAIN!!! Strategy?

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
kribbz

RAIN!!! Strategy?

Postby kribbz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Ok, so here in southern Illinois we have had a VERY wet October, it has rained 17 of the last 25 days!!! Alot of the areas that I hunt are bottoms and funnels. My question is this, when the creeks are out and the bottom ground is flooded or close to flooded do the deer stick around or should i be looking for the high ground?

JPH

RE: RAIN!!! Strategy?

Postby JPH » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:04 pm

I had the exact same issue on my property in North Missouri last year. The creek that cuts across one end of my place was out of it's banks. There was standing water in the pasture and some of my stands were hard to get to.

From what I saw, it had no impact on the deer movement. I actually watched several deer wade a few feet into the stream and then leap about 12' to get across, just to pass my stand.

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:06 pm

is it illegal or unethical to bow hunt from a jon boat. Any more rain and that is my last option.  the good news is that I think I can get anywhere I want to go in a boat right now. 

kribbz

Postby kribbz » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:27 pm

JPH that is encouraging info, thanks!

I hear you Lot to Learn!!! I'm not a duck hunter but I know a few guys with homemade boat blinds that I may borrow to deer hunt out of!! Here in Madison County we have broke the October record for rainfall and they are saying we could get another 5 inches today and tommorrow!

eagle eye

Postby eagle eye » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:26 am

I have seen where deer will continue to use the same travel corridors. Much of the focus this time of year will be food and the rutting activities. I would concentrate on the travel patterns from the bedding areas to the food sources in the areas. As for the water issue check your local regulations, in some states it is illegal to shoot a deer while they are standing in water
John Wojtas
Enjoying the moment and always striving to enhance our hunting heritage

Woods Walker

Postby Woods Walker » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:53 am

As for the water issue check your local regulations, in some states it is illegal to shoot a deer while they are standing in water

That's a good idea. It could also be that it's illegal if they're SWIMMING. I do know that if you bow kill an animal while it's swimming that you cannot enter it into P&Y, and I believe B&C also. They don't consider that to be "fair chase".
Hunt Hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies.....

>>>--------------------------------->
NRA Endowment Life Member

fixedblade

Postby fixedblade » Fri Oct 30, 2009 4:47 am

We have been hammered with rain here in Texas as well and yes the standing water thing will change the traveling patterns of the deer if the water stays around for a while.  But mostly they will be like us travel in the same path and just walk around or through the water knowing that it is just temporary. 

I have had bucks standing out in front of my blind eating food plot grass and or corn and then walk over to the standing water that was deposited the day before and drink. 

Lot to Learn 2

Postby Lot to Learn 2 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:03 am

Just want to be clear I am kidding about the boat. It just will not stop raining here.  I have a lake in my front yard and a stream on the side. I live in the middle of town.  Yes, raining right now.  The guy I hunt on is in FL now and he called me, a creek washed out electric fence and wanted me to run out and see if I could get it back up. 

Return to Best Practices