Cheap Homemade Deer Drag

How can you become a better hunter? Find out here — and share your advice!
JPH

Cheap Homemade Deer Drag

Postby JPH » Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:56 am

This thread has sparked a pretty good discussion:
http://forum.deeranddeerhunting.com/tm.aspx?m=55030

I thought I would share the system that I built to drag a deer alone. I made the entire thing from items I had laying around the garage.
You need
- 6' of sturdy rope or webbing in a closed loop
- 4-8' of sturdy rope or webbing
- 2-3' of light cord
- 1 carabineer
[color="#ff0000"](See photo 1)[/color]

Roll your field dressed deer onto its back. Lift the front legs to the antlers (or neck) and secure them in place with the light cord. [color="#ff0000"](see photo 2)[/color]

Take the heavy length of rope/webbing and secure one end to the antlers (or neck) and tie a loop in the opposite end about 2-3' from the deer's head. [color="#ff0000"](see photo 3)[/color]

Finally, attach the carabineer to the loop you made, run the other piece of rope/webbing (already in a closed loop) through the carabineer to make shoulder straps. [color="#ff0000"](see photo 4)
[/color]
Now, get on your knees and slip your arms through the straps. Carefully stand up, lifting the deer's head off the ground. Lean into the straps and slowly walk your deer out. [color="#ff0000"](see photo 5)[/color]

HuntenFF

RE: Cheap Homemade Deer Drag

Postby HuntenFF » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:22 am

Wow, I think thats a great Idea! You may not even need the carbiner, huh? I would like to try this in the cat-tails I hunt. Last year it took me and my buddys 2.5 hrs to drag the buck I shoot out, but he did weigh 192lbs after feild dressing. The only thing that would possibly be difficult is that if it has a larger rack and you stumble getting the antlers poking you in the you know what[8|]

DeanoZ

Postby DeanoZ » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:29 am

JPG, that is great!  Thanks for taking the time to document this the way you did...now I have a real good idea how to do this when the time comes.  The doe i dragged out last year was a two man job (by choice) and my buddy basically lashed the front legs and neck like you did, then tioed off the rest of the rope to 3 ft piece of tree limb ..we each took a side and dragged...great for two people, but when your by yourself, what you documented is exactly what i neeeded...thanks again.

bobow

Postby bobow » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:41 am

That is great!  Even a dummy like me can follow this with the 8x10 color glossy photographs with the pictures and arrows....... [:D]

Thanks for the post!Image
Thomas Jefferson, 1774 July. "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time."

Life Member: NRA, ISRA; Member CCRA

Patriot

Postby Patriot » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:54 am

Hey....that is slick.  I bet I can rig up something with all the harnesses I have in my garage (the cheapies that come with treestands these days).

Thanks for sharing!
Paul K. "aim small, miss small"

69Viking

Postby 69Viking » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:20 am

ORIGINAL: Patriot

Hey....that is slick.  I bet I can rig up something with all the harnesses I have in my garage (the cheapies that come with treestands these days).

Thanks for sharing!

Patriot you took the words right out of my mouth. I have the same cheapies sitting in my garage that would work perfect for this and I should be able to tie them in the the drag strap on my Hunter Safety System vest!

Thanks for posting the idea JPH!

Return to Best Practices